becool5

15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello, I tried to find information about this topic on various threads but I couldn't find anything. I have a Bachelors Degree in Anthropology and I have taken most of the usual pre-reqs for medical school (O.Chem, Physics, Physiology, Cell Bio, etc). I plan on applying to medical school in the next 2 years, but right now I am working to save money. I can take classes for free however because I work for a university. I was wondering how my under-grad GPA will change if I take undergrad courses. Will my GPA change as if I never graduated? Or is there a seperate post-bac GPA? I assume that if it is a graduate level class then the grade/GPA will be seperate. Also, if I take a class that I have already taken, how is my GPA effected? I heard that the two grades are averaged together. Thank you in advance for any help.

Heal&Teach

cogito ergo sum
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
adsum
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi becool5...

Your GPA on the AMCAS application is broken down into BCPM GPA (bio, chem, phys, & math), as well as an all other GPA. You will have to enter your undergraduate grades, plus grades from any graduate work or post-bacc programs. In addition, you will submit transcripts from any school at which you did coursework, so your total undergraduate and/or post-graduate GPA will be seen individually as well. So, if you take any science classes, these will figure into your BCPM, and any other classes would fit into the all other category. Also, take a look at the breakdown on the AAMC website, as shown in the AMCAS manual:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2004instructionbook.pdf

Course classification information starts on page 28, and the bottom of page 34 starts to talk about the AMCAS grading system, transcripts, etc.

Hope this helps.
H&T

LizS

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
Hello:

I have an undergraduate degree in Biology as well as a Master's in Education. I am finishing a master's in chemistry. I had to take a few undergraduate hours as pre-req.'s for my second master's. I believe I have encountered every situation you are questioning.

If you take undergrad courses post graduation there is a separate category for that GPA, graduate courses are given their own GPA, and any courses retaken are averaged be cause the post and undergrad GPA's are averaged on the AMCAS application as Cumulative undergraduate.

I have often seen on this site that it is better to attempt to increase your undergrad GPA with post-bac work. In my situation I have 219 undergrad hours so that was not an option for me to attempt to improve my GPA. Also, I have been told that the med schools often like to see you have a purpose to the courses you are taking not just aimlessly retaking courses. In the end who really knows? Hope this helps.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.