Question about gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpieLIFE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a 3.45 smp bad? Would that still be okay for a US MD acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Based on what people have said to similar questions, it's not good. SMPs are designed for most students to get 4.0s, or something close.

NJ resident.
I only took that one MCAT.
I have never applied to MD or DO schools.
Lots of clinical and volunteer experience.

NJ resident.
I only took that one MCAT.
I have never applied to MD or DO schools.
Lots of clinical and volunteer experience.
With a good MCAT and everything else indicating risk, you have a poor to fair chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you say it is more skewed to the poor side or fair side?
Thanks for your input

Borderline. I think you're going to have to go through an app cycle warts and all. Most of the people I've seen posting here after SMP got into an MD schools with a much higher GPA, like ?>3.6. And a stellar MCAT (>33) top boot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Borderline. I think you're going to have to go through an app cycle warts and all. Most of the people I've seen posting here after SMP got into an MD schools with a much higher GPA, like ?>3.6. And a stellar MCAT (>33) top boot.

Lol what do you mean warts and all? Rejection filled?
So if I retook it got like a 34 or 35, do you think I would have a fighting shot at MD schools?

Meaning a Post-bac GPA of 3.45 that should have been much higher. You should have aced instead of beeced.

What is your current MCAT score?

Your numbers are fine for any DO program, BTW.

Lol what do you mean warts and all? Rejection filled?
So if I retook it got like a 34 or 35, do you think I would have a fighting shot at MD schools?

Hi!
I'm in a similar boat. I have a 3.38 undergraduate. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I worked as a nursing assistant for a year and am now in the Peace Corps as a health volunteer for the next two years. I also worked with refugees and immigrants in college. My dream school right now is Howard University as they have a huge push for serving the underserved.

Thoughts? Chances? MCAT score to shoot for?

Hi!
I'm in a similar boat. I have a 3.38 undergraduate. I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I worked as a nursing assistant for a year and am now in the Peace Corps as a health volunteer for the next two years. I also worked with refugees and immigrants in college. My dream school right now is Howard University as they have a huge push for serving the underserved.

Thoughts? Chances? MCAT score to shoot for?

You probably should start your own thread but without a MCAT score it is really hard to advise you . Are you URM? What is your sGPA?

I believe it's hovering around a 3.12. I just did a rough estimate...haven't seen my transcript in awhile. I still have to take to two semesters of inorganic chem when I return from overseas. Not URM. Lower middle class white female.
So I know things aren't ideal...just wondering how far RPCV status will get me? I know howard is looking for committed volunteer types...but is it just domestic?

I'll start a new thread! Thanks!