Question about graduate programs at Harvard and U. of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InNotOf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are MSTPers in graduate programs at Harvard and UWash limited to working with investigators listed on the graduate program's website, or can you work with others, too? For example, if I identify a faculty member with whom I want to work who isn't listed for any grad dept, can I go ahead as long as he/she agrees to take me on? This UWash link suggests so. There are some cool labs at Dana-Farber and Fred Hutchinson that don't appear to be affiliated with a graduate department.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my UW classmates worked in a lab at the Hutch that was not, when he joined, affiliated with a grad program. He helped the PI get affiliated with one. If you and the PI are OK with that extra bit of work, it should be no problem. Generally, UW MSTPs are free to work, and do, in any UW-affiliated lab - UWMC, Hutch, VA, Harborview, ISB, etc etc.

At Harvard, you can work with research groups at the quadrangle, any of the hospitals (MGH, Children's, etc), at the Cambridge campus, at MIT or at other affiliated institutions (certainly Dana-Farber). The graduate programs are pretty flexible and many investigators have multiple appointments, so you could pretty much choose whichever graduate program you think is most appropriate.