Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

question about graduates from nycpm?

Discussion in 'Pre-Podiatry Students' started by sm2009, Dec 15, 2008.

1. sm2009

Pre-Podiatry
    Hi does anyone know if graduates from nycpm obtained good residencies?
    Are residencies in California hard to get for an NYCPM grad?
    also, where do most nycpm grads practice? Is it usually in NY?
    And what are common salary offers that most pods start off with?
    Do most pods work as a pod associate and then buy a practice?

Sorry for all the questions, just tryin to find out some info. I would appreciate your honest answers. Thanks!

2. JEWmongous

JEWmongous Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, I'm going to pod school next year but maybe can help you out with this one. The cali residencies are definitely sought after by CSPM students as a lot of students are from the state or nearby states. It was the only school in the western half of the united states until AZPOD came along (now Western too). They spend a lot of time rotating at various sites in the bay area (Kaisers, st. mary's, SF general, highland hospital, etc) during years 2-4. Definitely allows for networking and meeting a lot of residents and faculty. I would say that will probably give you a bit of an advantage - it's important that you perform well on rotations though.

At NYCPM, you have a few externships (it used to be 3 but I think now its 3.5, pretty low IMO). If you are interested in cali residencies, use some of this time to rotate in california hospitals. From what I heard, if definitely helps to do an externship at a place you are considering for residency (but you must do well there too)

3. air bud

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    this should be moved to the residents/attendings forum or at least the pod student forum. No pre-pod has anything to intelligent to say on the subject, although ThetaChi will probably chime in with something unecessary.

4. JEWmongous

JEWmongous Member
    10+ Year Member

LOL awesome. He's probably riding that sweet scooter into the sunset...

5. krabmas

krabmas Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    you can go to any school as long as you do well and get any residency for the most part. From my class at NYCPM I think at least 3 people if not more went to Cali.