Question about graduating and premed courses.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NavidsonRecords

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My story is kind of peculiar.
I was a predmed student, and I was doing great. I had to drive 1-2 hours every day to go to school which was fine.
I ended up ignoring most of my family due to this. (Of course, this is much more complicated)
In the end, I experienced how the medical system failed my family. Subsequently, my niece died. I felt absolutely destroyed. That semester I stopped going to my classes and literally failed Orgo2/genetics because I could not withdraw from them (At this point, I didn't care).
I switched majors because I wanted nothing to do with science or medicine. (I realize now I wasn't allowing myself to heal mentally.)
I've healed, and now I have a reason why I need this.
I know I can pass the remaining premed courses(Org2 physics1/2) easily, and I know I'll absolutely destroy the Mcat.
I will have to take the remaining premed courses though as a non-student due to being charged excessive hours now (Since I changed my major), so I do not have the funds to cover a 4k tuition which would normally be 2k. (Florida lul). I don't think my grade in orgo 2 will replace the F I made in my undergraduate studies, yes? If so, will this hurt my chances significantly even if I make A's in the remaining courses (including orgo2).

Thank you for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to learn of your family's tragedy.

Getting A's in your remaining/repeat coursework will certainly help your application. The F will still be averaged into your AMCAS GPA, but adcoms will also be understanding of a drop in your performance in the face of extreme adversity. The F will hurt, but it won't doom you by itself. Plenty of people have gotten into med school with one or more F's in undergrad.

I'm glad you're confident about your ability to do well, but take care not to become complacent. Assume that you have an uphill climb going forward and work accordingly.

If you're willing to share your cGPA/sGPA, we can make more educated comments about your prospects.

Good luck.