Question about hair style for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jwalker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The old adage goes, "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."

With that being said, do you think going to an interview with dreadlocks would be that much of a turn off? I like my hair very much and would prefer not to cut it as it took some time to grow (and I think I pull them off very well :cool:). Thanks in advance for responses.

I saw a dude at my Yale interview with dreadloacks, with that said I don't know if he got in.. lol
Use common sense.

Personally, after all this hard work I would never risk it all by giving even a slightly bad impression.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I think I can look professional if I tie them back

jaywalkerx

thoughts?

You could, and no one might care, but you're taking a big risk. You won't get a second shot.

I think I can look professional if I tie them back

jaywalkerx
jaywalkerx

thoughts?

Is it really worth the chance that it might be a huge turn off to an interviewer? In reality I doubt that it matters, but if you get an older, more traditional interviewer, dreads could be a deal breaker.

I once wrote an essay in a legal systems class about this kind of thing. The basis consensus in the field is that the more "black" you look, the more people would judge you as dangerous and irresponsible. In fact juries like to find people who are more "black-looking" guilty and also to sentence them to death. This fact holds even if you are comparing between people of the same race. People are rarely cognisant of their biases but the difference is significant from both actual court cases and from controlled experiments.

You can probably extrapolate from that.

:(

Edit for source: I'm too lazy to find the actual papers but if interested, look up articles cited by & citing Eberhardt, J.L. et al., Psych. Sci. 2006, 17(5), 383

I think I am gonna go with Bieber's hairstyle.

I think you have to ask yourself which is more important: keeping your dreads or getting into med school? If med school is more important, it would probably be best to ditch the dreads.

Mullet or bust. Business in the front, party in the back. It will show adcoms that you're a well-rounded applicant.

Man up, cut the dreads. I don't think they will go over well. There is an assumption that people with dread locks are stoners and slackers- even if it's not true I wouldn't want someone subconsciously thinking that about me in an med school interview. Entirely not worth the risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a physician at the hospital I shadow at with dreads and he looks good. Hair grows back, cut 'em now and grow back later. As much as I hate to tell someone to change themselves, and I know the attachment to long hair.

There is a physician at the hospital I shadow at with dreads and he looks good. Hair grows back, cut 'em now and grow back later. As much as I hate to tell someone to change themselves, and I know the attachment to long hair.

I agree. I used to having longer hair and kept it very short during interview season. You have your whole life to have whatever style you want.

Definitely cut them. If you even had to post this question, just cut the hair.

Cut the hair bro... unless you're going to a hippie medical school like...

McMaster University in Canada... they love that kind of thing.

(being 100% serious)

Is it really worth the chance that it might be a huge turn off to an interviewer? In reality I doubt that it matters, but if you get an older, more traditional interviewer, dreads could be a deal breaker.

I'm 24 and I think OP looks awful.

They will be noticed and you will stand out for the wrong reason. At best, it's a distraction. At worst, huge stereotyping.

Cut them for the interview.
Rock them through medical school.

Cut them for the interview.Rock them through medical school.
To be honest, I'd cut them off for interview and keep them off for med school and beyond. Get used to being judged in the medical field. It's important for your patients to respect you, especially when you're a med student or an intern. They'll be more compliant and you'll have an easier time treating them. It kind of sucks, but that's how it is.

To be honest, I'd cut them off for interview and keep them off for med school and beyond. Get used to being judged in the medical field. It's important for your patients to respect you, especially when you're a med student or an intern. They'll be more compliant and you'll have an easier time treating them. It kind of sucks, but that's how it is.

Ok fine

Cut them for the interview.
Keep it short for medical school
Rock them as an attending.

;)

You have somewhat strong facial features (ie- jaw, proportional face) so if anything I'd want to showcase them rather than distract from them.

Do as little standing out as you can looks wise for your interview. Maybe wear a nicer suit or something to stand out, but don't do the typical "look at me!" w/ ear plugs, dreadlocks, mohawk, facial piercing, neck/hand tattoo, etc.

Cut the hair bro... unless you're going to a hippie medical school like...

McMaster University in Canada... they love that kind of thing.

(being 100% serious)

Huh. What other medical schools you think look favorably upon long hair?

With medicine being a traditionally conservative profession, I would probably find a equally conservative hairstyle for interviews. I'm not saying change who you are, but I would want to take as many variables out of the admissions equation as I could.

I once wrote an essay in a legal systems class about this kind of thing. The basis consensus in the field is that the more "black" you look, the more people would judge you as dangerous and irresponsible. In fact juries like to find people who are more "black-looking" guilty and also to sentence them to death. This fact holds even if you are comparing between people of the same race. People are rarely cognisant of their biases but the difference is significant from both actual court cases and from controlled experiments.

You can probably extrapolate from that.

:(

Edit for source: I'm too lazy to find the actual papers but if interested, look up articles cited by & citing Eberhardt, J.L. et al., Psych. Sci. 2006, 17(5), 383

So government money is actually spent on studies like this? That's street knowledge, that's for free!

So government money is actually spent on studies like this? That's street knowledge, that's for free!

I think the idea is to catalyse change, because frankly the legal system doesn't give a crap when it's just the inmates & families bitching about injustice. The data sounds a lot more important coming from controlled studies by old white men. And they actually have been able to change things in the airport security system with studies like this. There's a lot less racial/ethnic stereotyping than there used to be and they're a lot better now at catching people because of it.

I actually think your dreads look fine. I liked the medium length the best on you.

My brother had dreads for several years and only recently cut them off. You and your dreads actually remind me of him a lot. It was a tough decision for him because he really liked them and had been growing them since he was 17 or 18 (he just turned 23), had spent a lot of money on them and they had just gotten to the look that he really wanted. He works in the music industry so it wasn't looked down upon but it did affect his other jobs...only jamaican bars would hire him as a bartender. seriously. sooo he eventually cut them. I think he was sad and I was sad for him because I knew how much he liked them, but I think it did open some other doors for him as well that might have been closed had he had them still.

so, I guess like others have said, it might be best to cut them for the interview (as much as I hate saying that), but then go ahead and grow them back once you're in school if you're still interested. Or afterwards if you think it would be a problem while in school.

I actually think your dreads look fine. I liked the medium length the best on you.

My brother had dreads for several years and only recently cut them off. You and your dreads actually remind me of him a lot. It was a tough decision for him because he really liked them and had been growing them since he was 17 or 18 (he just turned 23), had spent a lot of money on them and they had just gotten to the look that he really wanted. He works in the music industry so it wasn't looked down upon but it did affect his other jobs...only jamaican bars would hire him as a bartender. seriously. sooo he eventually cut them. I think he was sad and I was sad for him because I knew how much he liked them, but I think it did open some other doors for him as well that might have been closed had he had them still.

so, I guess like others have said, it might be best to cut them for the interview (as much as I hate saying that), but then go ahead and grow them back once you're in school if you're still interested. Or afterwards if you think it would be a problem while in school.

whenever people ask these types of questions, just always imagine yourself to be a 50 year old physician and you see yourself walking in the door, what is the FIRST reaction you would get? If it's not positive, do something about it.

Can't you carefully cut them off and then weave them back on later?

Cut em off, leave a good amount of hair thats not dreaded, and slick it back or get a hairstyle simliar to Bradley Cooper.

With that being said, do you think going to an interview with dreadlocks would be that much of a turn off?

On the contrary, you remind me of a half Jewish girl I used to bone with gusto.

But seriously (sort of, she was crazy in the sack), medicine has not yet developed a blanket acceptance of alternative physical appearances. Cut your hair now, and grow it back when you have earned the ability to look however you wish in professional circles.

Anecdotal evidence:

I work at a small medical college. One day when discussing with the dean, he told me about a very talented student that they wanted but he was missing a second semester pre-req course and they were trying to exempt him from the rule (the *star* type). He was a college senior with a large curly hair afro type haircut. When he got exempted and asked the dean if he should do anything else, the dean responded jokingly "yeah, get a haircut!"

Either way, he would've gotten in but it remains at your discretion.