Question about home supplies (xylocaine, lac repair kits, ETC.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Texas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do apologize in advance if this has been answered elsewhere. I tried searching, but could come up with no answers.

Is there any way for a licensed physician with DEA# to acquire minimal amount of lidocaine, dermabond, lac repair kits for home use? I plan on living in the countryside for most of my life and would prefer not to take children/family/friends to UCs or EDs if I can do lac repair at home. I know there is risk involved, but I'm just asking if it is possible to stock these supplies at home.

Members don't see this ad.

I do apologize in advance if this has been answered elsewhere. I tried searching, but could come up with no answers.

Is there any way for a licensed physician with DEA# to acquire minimal amount of lidocaine, dermabond, lac repair kits for home use? I plan on living in the countryside for most of my life and would prefer not to take children/family/friends to UCs or EDs if I can do lac repair at home. I know there is risk involved, but I'm just asking if it is possible to stock these supplies at home.

None of the things you mentioned are controlled substances, so that should not be a problem. Laceration repair kits and tissue adhesive can be bought by anyone. You don't even have to be a doctor. Definitely don't need a DEA number. You can even buy them on Amazon (not endorsing these specific products, just demonstrating an example):

Amazon product
Amazon product

Injectable lidocaine needs a prescription, but that shouldn't be a problem. State medical boards discourage prescription to self or family members of even non-controlled substances, except in "emergencies" but I believe this would qualify. Topical lidocaine does not need a prescription, so that could make things even easier if you wanted to stock up on that.

Reactions: 1 user
None of the things you mentioned are controlled substances, so that should not be a problem. Laceration repair kits and tissue adhesive can be bought by anyone. You don't even have to be a doctor. Definitely don't need a DEA number. You can even buy them on Amazon (not endorsing these specific products, just demonstrating an example):

Amazon product
Amazon product

Injectable lidocaine needs a prescription, but that shouldn't be a problem. State medical boards discourage prescription to self or family members of even non-controlled substances, except in "emergencies" but I believe this would qualify. Topical lidocaine does not need a prescription, so that could make things even easier if you wanted to stock up on that.

Thank you. I don't imagine you can just walk into CVS for injectable lidocaine prescription. Where would you get it from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I don't imagine you can just walk into CVS for injectable lidocaine prescription. Where would you get it from?

Expired supplies. All of the central line kits have lidocaine. They are all getting thrown away when they are expired. The lido is still good. Let whoever is in charge of your supplies that you are looking for some.

State medical boards discourage prescription to self or family members of even non-controlled substances, except in "emergencies" but I believe this would qualify.

Some do, but the vast majority don't have much of a problem with it for non-controlled substances. I've even seen boards that specifically cite being able to prescribe for self and family members as a reason that they have an "emeritus"-type license for docs that are retired but still want an active-ish license to be able to do this. Fortunately I have not worked in any of the states that specifically frown on this.

You actually can just walk into CVS and write yourself a script for injectable lidocaine - they'll have to order it, but you can do it. A friend of mine needed a few ampules of epi for a wilderness kit he was preparing for a trip to the backcountry with a group of people, and did just that. Other option is to order it from an online medical supply company. You send in a copy of your license and have them shipped to your front door.

You actually can just walk into CVS and write yourself a script for injectable lidocaine - they'll have to order it, but you can do it. A friend of mine needed a few ampules of epi for a wilderness kit he was preparing for a trip to the backcountry with a group of people, and did just that. Other option is to order it from an online medical supply company. You send in a copy of your license and have them shipped to your front door.
That's what I do.

Andameds is cheap and fast but doesn't always carry everything, so then you got with like a Henry Schein or McKesson.

I have a stash of lido and suture supplies but I’ve been thinking about procuring some silver nitrate and/or topical TXA for a wilderness emergency kit. Anyone have experience ordering these online?

I have an account with Henry Schein. You can order virtually anything from them.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a stash of lido and suture supplies but I’ve been thinking about procuring some silver nitrate and/or topical TXA for a wilderness emergency kit. Anyone have experience ordering these online?
McKesson or Henry Schein. Or a simple google search.

So you’re saying the stuff I can order on Walmart.com is legit? Cause that’s what came back from google
It's as legit as anything else. Nothing magical about silver nitrate. You could probably convince your local high school to make some in an AP chemistry lab if you wanted to.

So you’re saying the stuff I can order on Walmart.com is legit? Cause that’s what came back from google
If it's on the internet, it's got to be 'legit'!
:D

I order IV fluids, IV start kits/catheters, lidocaine, IV ketorolac/ondansetron/metoclopramide, etc. from Moore Medical. I've been using them for years. Started when my best friend had the contract for most movies/TV shows produced in my state. He would call me out on movie sets if I wasn't working in the ER to start IV's, give IV fluids, migraine cocktails, minor suturing, etc. Prevented an actor/actress from going to the ER. Haven't done it since last year (my best friend sadly passed away), but I keep ordering supplies for family members in an emergency. I specifically put on my account no controlled substances.

Reactions: 2 users
I got some lidocaine at the local discount drug store. Had to write a script for it.