Question about interviews for people who have interviewed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellofuturedentists

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a dumb question or if it's already been answered a bunch of times (if that's the case, sorry!). I was just wondering if dental schools give you any kind of financial reimbursement and/or a place to stay for a night if they ask you to come interview. I know it's probably not likely, seeing as this entire process is so expensive, but I figured I would ask. Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Their financial reimbursement is a job security with only a contingency of an acceptance.

Nothing is free at all. You pay and search for everything - ticket, housing, transportation, etc.

I remember one school (I wanna say Case Western?) has a dental frat house that you can stay overnight for decent price. Gives you a chance to speak to current students and saves you money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools have students that are willing to let interviewees stay over, so you might want to check into that.

Rental cars (there's a whole thread of really good deals that waive the 25 and under fee and give massive discount as well), or Uber/Lyft can cut your transportation (other than airline) fee way down.

Although there are no fee waivers for accommodations, there are ways to cut costs when going on interviews. When the schools notify you of an interview, they also usually provide a list of local hotels/transportation companies they have made discount deals with if you are an interviewee. So I usually stayed at the hotel they recommended and used uber (one of my interviews also had a discount taxi that was even cheaper than uber for interviewees!). Also some of the hotels have a complimentary shuttle service that can take you to the school and the airport for free, so I tried to find hotels like that (complimentary breakfast on interview day was nice too!) I have also heard some schools do the "stay with a current student" one of the above posters talked about.

Some schools will let you know of discount offers for hotels/transportation during your stay for the interview. As far as I know, this is the most they will provide you with.