Question About Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umasskid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate it greatly if someone could please clear up some points of confusion for me...a little backround info on me first...i am a student from umass amherst...going in to my junior year as an english major...however I have completed my premed requirements...my sci gpa is about a 3.85 and my overall is about a 3.93...i was curious as to whether I could apply to schools in ireland without finishing my degree(skip senior year)...if so, would I be able to be accepted to trinity's 5 year med program without taking the mcats...if I applied to rcsi or ucd, would I be able to be accepted without a degree...and if so, the 5 or 6 year program?...if someone could respond and let me know what my options are, as Ive been having trouble navigating the schools' websites...they are a bit confusing

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, i know people who have done what you're doing. Unfortunately, you will not be allowed to apply to the 5 year programs, as they are Graduate Entry programs. That means you must have graduated with an undergrad degree (bachelors). However, you are eligible for the 6 year programs. I have known several Canadians who have entered college, discovered or visited Trinity and loved it so much, they dropped out of their programs and enrolled in Trinity. I do not know if you will receive any exemptions since you've taken some courses, but...I think you might just have to repeat everything. I'd drop them an email, or drop the Atlantic Bridge program an email to ask about your options at [email protected].

The 6 year programs do not require the mcat. The 5 year programs do, except for Trinity.

thanks for the reply leorl...one more question...if I entered trinity after I graduate, will I still be eligible for the 5 year program, even if I dont take the mcats?

Yes :) Trinity is the only IRish college at the moment that doesn't require MCATs. The reason is unknown, but Trinity has a very high standard, so they find some other qualification to select graduate students.

So right now, your options are to skip senior year and enter a 6 year program, or finish out your undergrad and try to enter the graduate program. Neither saves you any time, you might as well finish your undergrad degree.

However, I would advise you to take the MCAT anyway. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to study for...but you cannot guarantee that you'll get into Trinity, and you need the MCAT everywhere else, so it would be in your best interest if you really want to be a doc, to take the MCAT.