Question about Jesuit schools - Georgetown, Creighton,.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoooba

Masrawy 100 100
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what does it mean for a school to be considered Jesuit. I have read that schools like Georgetown and Creighton are jesuit schools. Do these schools implement christian beliefs into their curiculum? Also, would a non-christian feel out of place in schools like these ? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hoooba said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what does it mean for a school to be considered Jesuit. I have read that schools like Georgetown and Creighton are jesuit schools. Do these schools implement christian beliefs into their curiculum? Also, would a non-christian feel out of place in schools like these ? thanks

I'm at Loyola right now (as a post-bac, not a med student) and you can definitely feel the presence of a Catholic influence, but it is not integrated into the science curriculum, and your are not preached to. There are religious statues on campus and there's a small crucifix on the wall in each classroom, so if those types of things would bother someone, they might want to look elsewhere. However, I know schools like Loma Linda say they require attending weekly services, and in my experience the Jesuit schools are not like that at all. Understandably, they may have Catholic bias in their teaching, but I have not found that to interfere in any way with the teaching of the sciences, or omission of any facts or theories that would contradict a religious way of thinking.

In conversation with a NYMC 4th year, I was informed that she felt a definate deficiency in women's health instruction; particularly in the clinical years.

1. You are not allowed to discuss birth control in teaching hospitals and clinics (many of which serve very underserved populations; to not talk about birth control and STD prevention in this group seems criminal).

2. If you desire to learn about women's health, you have to take an "away" elective at a different school.

These things kept me from accepting offers at the Catholic schools I got into. I want to have full proficiency as a physician and don't want to see my patients catching HIV or not being able to make informed decisions about their health due to any lack of training on my part.

I wouldn't feel out of place as a non-christian because their are tons of non-christian faculty and students at these schools. The crucifix can be a little morbid to those of us who aren't into dead people hanging from things, but I think I could get over it.

So basically, my only reason for staying away is the lack of decent women's health training (after all >50% of the US population are women).

Hoooba said:
Hi everyone,

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't realize NYMC was Catholic. What other schools are catholic/christian/religious?

Camillekc said:
I didn't realize NYMC was Catholic. What other schools are catholic/christian/religious?

Aside from those mentioned, I can only think of Einstein. Einstein is a bit different though; it recieves funding from a Jewish University, but they have no oversight on the curriculum. The Medical School is basically independant, so religion isn't approached much differently than at other schools (at most schools, you'll have to take extra classes on spirituality, & cross-cultural practice, which talk about religion).

If you're not a Jew, the only way you'd know it was Jewish is that you may occasionally see a Rabbi wandering around the hospital (well, actually you see them wandering around most hospitals anyway, along with priests, doctors and escaped psych patients).

Supadupafly said:
1. You are not allowed to discuss birth control in teaching hospitals and clinics (many of which serve very underserved populations; to not talk about birth control and STD prevention in this group seems criminal).

No. What is criminal is to treat someone who has premarital sex for an STD they deserved to get.

Supadupafly said:
In conversation with a NYMC 4th year, I was informed that she felt a definate deficiency in women's health instruction; particularly in the clinical years.

So basically, my only reason for staying away is the lack of decent women's health training (after all >50% of the US population are women).

Women's health instruction? Birth control and STDs don't affect men?

Darn, here I've been being careful to protect myself against STDs. I didn't know I was immune.

Those are human health issues.

Yeah, I've said this before, but at Einstein the only ways you know it's Jewish are the Hebrew dates on the building cornerstones, a bigger population of Orthodox Jewish students, all the cafeterias are kosher, and the library is closed on Saturday.

Anyway, a prof I know at NYMC says basically the same thing about women's health there as the above poster. There's no religious discrimination in the school, but some people may feel uncomfortable there (notably, gays). Mostly it's the curriculum that is affected by the religious affiliation, and mostly women's health.

MoosePilot said:
Women's health instruction? Birth control and STDs don't affect men?

Darn, here I've been being careful to protect myself against STDs. I didn't know I was immune.

Those are human health issues.

Yeah, but birth control and abortion generally fall under the category of women's health in a school curriculum or hospital. Of course they affect everybody.

Come on...are we trolling here?
Get real. STIs are a sad fact of life in an imperfect world. How many of you have treated the faithful spouse for an infection transmitted to him/her by the unfaithful? Did the faithful spouse DESERVE the infection?
Let's stop placing blame here and treat the problem itself.
There is very little room in medicine for judgmental attitudes. S/he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
Lisa

Masamune4567 said:
No. What is criminal is to treat someone who has premarital sex for an STD they deserved to get.

primadonna22274 said:
Come on...are we trolling here?
Get real. STIs are a sad fact of life in an imperfect world. How many of you have treated the faithful spouse for an infection transmitted to him/her by the unfaithful? Did the faithful spouse DESERVE the infection?
Let's stop placing blame here and treat the problem itself.
There is very little room in medicine for judgmental attitudes. S/he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
Lisa

eh, either ignore him or report him. He's been trolling like this since he started posting (yesterday or a few days ago)

OHHHHHH....thanks, tigress (don't remember your name, sorry)
L.
p.s. I am still kinda new to the forum...how do I report a troll?
:confused:

tigress said:
eh, either ignore him or report him. He's been trolling like this since he started posting (yesterday or a few days ago)

Camillekc said:

St. Louis Univ. is also a Jesuit institution, I believe.

primadonna22274 said:
OHHHHHH....thanks, tigress (don't remember your name, sorry)
L.
p.s. I am still kinda new to the forum...how do I report a troll?
:confused:

On the left side where the screen name is, at the bottom of the panel, there is a red triangle with a black exclamation point. Click that to report.

I'm not sure this post is really reportable, although I did. He's sort of just stating his opinion, even though it is inflammatory and unnecessary.

Masamune4567 said:

WOAH! you are not doctor material. what the heck?!?!?!

That post about deserving an STD is ingorant and irrelevant. However, I do feel that people should not complain about curriculum once you choose to attend a catholic (or any other religious) school. My sister attended a Jesuit school and many of her friends (catholic or not) criticized the school and it's message constantly. Don't go or transfer. That's why they're private schools. They can and should be able to teach what the Catholic Church preaches.

SeattlePostBach said:
WOAH! you are not doctor material. what the heck?!?!?!

Jesuit: Creighton, Georgetown, Loyola, St. Louis U

Catholic-affiliated, but not Jesuit: NYMC

Jesuit refers to the Society of Jesus, an order of Catholic priests, but not all Catholic institutions are Jesuit. Catholic orders include Dominican, Franciscan, and many others.

Also, Loyola-Stritch School of Medicine is in Maywood (for the pre-clinical years) and the main Loyola campus is in Chicago. I don't have any personal experience with the campuses, but the religious atmosphere of Stritch might be different than the atmosphere of the main campus.

Very True. If you have done your research and disagree with their curriculum, don't apply there. Granted NYMC is a "safety" school for many.

Masamune4567 said:
So in your world view, physicians must make moral judgements about their patients before providing care? Wow.. imagine the scary ramifications of this - do we deny care to diabetics, obese people, victims of assault (if they started it), cardiac arrest patients under your warped sense of duty?