Question about Kaplan Full length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the results today of my first full length Kaplan test. I got a 26 (9P, 7V, 10B), went up 5 points from half length diag. I'm wondering how much do people generally increase over the rest of course? I'm pleased with my sciences, but my verbal score is really bringing me down. I am wondering how much can one expect their verbal score to go up between now and test day?
Also for anyone else who has taken Kaplan, was the physical sciences on Kaplan's test representative of the physical sciences section on the real mcat?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can expect to go up atleast a few points from your first full length. The last few full length exams are really accurate though...from people i've talked to, they're usually within a couple points of the actual MCAT.

does anyone else have any comments. I'm interested because I have my 2nd full length (i dont know necessarily agree with having the 2nd full length a week after the 1st) coming up on sunday. I havent really had the chance to study much this week cause of midterms.
Do you think the first full lenght gives a good indication of where you are at right now or should it be kind of questioned?

Thanks.

From the first full length I took on 2/20 (test #3), to the the second one I took yesterday (test#4), I went up 3 points.

PS
I missed the EXACT same number of question on both exams - got the same score.

VR
I got three more questions right on the most recent exam, my score went up by 1 point.

BS
I missed the EXACT same number of questions on both exams, but my score went up by 2 points on the most recent exam.

So it seems like my score increase was due to the different curves that Kaplan has built into their exams. What I intially thought was improvement didn't look so great when I looked at the breakdowns.

~Lubdubb

Originally posted by pbehzad
I got the results today of my first full length Kaplan test. I got a 26 (9P, 7V, 10B), went up 5 points from half length diag. I'm wondering how much do people generally increase over the rest of course? I'm pleased with my sciences, but my verbal score is really bringing me down. I am wondering how much can one expect their verbal score to go up between now and test day?
Also for anyone else who has taken Kaplan, was the physical sciences on Kaplan's test representative of the physical sciences section on the real mcat?

thanks

Like I said in another thread, each person's response to practicing will vary. Verbal is very tough for most people to raise, and unless your techniques in reading and answering the q's were way off to begin with, I wouldn't hope for much than a 2-3 point increase in your score. I think my score went up 1 or 2 points after doing something like 15-17 full verbal sections. About the PS from kaplan, it is in no way shape or form similar to the real test. Their tests were damn near impossible to finish for me...whereas on the real test I had 20-25 minutes left over. So it's a lot of calculations that you wouldn't see in a real test. Strangely, the scoring was pretty close to what I got on the actual test.