1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Question about Kaplan prep?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by lattimer13, Nov 23, 2002.

1. lattimer13

lattimer13 good boy!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anybody here take Kaplan prep and not do well on the MCAT and then retake their prep for the alumni rate ($399)? What did you think about taking the course a second time around? I didn't perform as well as I would have liked in Aug. 2002 and am thinking of taking the April 2003. I'm thinking of starting one of the early classes so I can prepare more and kick some butt. I didn't really like the lectures, but I am only considering this so I can have access to their thousands of practice questions. So, if anybody did repeat the course please post here and let me know what your experience with it was. How did you do a second time around in comparison to your first. Thanks for your help. Any other info would be appreciated (especially if it will help me improve 3-4 points on verbal).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KentuckySteve

KentuckySteve Junior Member

I retook the Kaplan course and improved my scores in VR and Org but dropped one in PS. Thats the way it goes as there is some luck involved. Fortunately, I got in. Admissions committees love persistance.

As far as the verbal goes the only advice I have is to practice and then practice some more getting your timing down and speed reading while still retaining the necessary facts. Sorry, its been a couple of years.

Anyhow, I think taking Kaplan again may be a good idea for you. See if you can get through all the material twice. As you go through the course try to supplement some of what they teach you with other resources. Learning it different ways helps not only to reinforce the material but may boost your score by three or four questions just by picking up random related facts. For example, if you read the sections in the back of your physics book that describe experiments such as the Milken oil drop exp, or how a laser works it should help you on a number of science passages.

4. png-girl

png-girl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I never took kaplan at all, but i would suggest that you check with your premed advisor and see if they have any of the kaplan materials (videos, workbooks, etc) in the library or something. my school library had a bunch of stuff that i could use, so i could watch the videos of the classes and do practice problems. it's a lot cheaper (free) but you may have to be a bit more self motivated for this route anyway, just a suggestion.

5. ninaninanina

ninaninanina Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone know if there is like an expiry date to when you can take the Kaplan alumni prep course over again? I took the MCAT in August of 2001, and want to write it in April again. I did not try August 2002 because I wanted to get a lot of work experience and I also was starting my masters. I really would like to take advantage of the course again, but I hope that I do not have to pay the whole grand that I payed the first time around. Thanks for any help in advance :)