Question about Kissing Class II Lesions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maryh320

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Wreb-takers,

I am taking the June Wreb at UOP. I really need your advice from those who take the exam. I have a friend who has lesion on #30 M and 29D. I would like to do 29 D for the operative part of my exam. I am not sure about 30 M b/c the lesion does not show very well on the x-ray and the mesial pulpal horn is very high.

My question will be: should i restore #30 M prior to going into the exam?
If I do end up restoring it, I would have to use composite but I would have to restore the mesial proximal contour to a perfect contour so it doesn't screw up my exit angles for 29 DO.
If i do NOT end up restoring it, will I run into the risk of having #29DO rejected? Will they ask me to do #30 M instead?

Thus far the teeth are in good proximal contact.

Please advise me with your board experience. Thank you so much and good luck with those who are taking it soon.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to restore it. My pt had caries all over. I did #5 DO and she had lesions on 4MO. The only reason you should restore it is if you think you might change the contour of the tooth by accidentally nicking the caries on the adj tooth and sacrificing the contact. I would leave it alone and submit #29.

If you really are itching you should restore it, this way you can work on the patient and see how they handle it.

DD

Desi gave excellent advice. Also, just to clarify for the OP, the WREB can reject a lesion, but they can't make you do another one (in your example they can't make you do #30 because the caries are bigger than #29). They can only reject #29 based on its own merits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard these rumors of examiners telling you what lesion to do when I was taking NERB. Many students told me that you would present a radiograph and if there was a "bigger" or more "obvious" lesion then they would tell you to do that one since its more "critical."

This is a bunch of bs. WREB doesn't operate that way, and from my experience NERB didn't do that either. Don't take one lesion to heart, keep searching until the end.

DD

plus if you want to take an xray in the exam day, they charge 20 dollars per x-ray ( CHeap USC ) and think about the time as well