question about letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm behind most other people on the application process mostly b/c I wasn't very motivated to apply until I got back my MCAT scores for 4/18/09 (I had assumed I bombed them and I was strongly considered putting off applying for another year). Anyway it turns out I actually did really well (37N). My question is about letters of rec. I have asked people way in advance to write letters of rec for me and they've already said yes. However, some of them want to look at my personal statement first which I haven't really started on.

I've heard letters of rec aren't requested until secondaries come in. I also know that most people highly recommend sending in applications as early as possible. I am aiming for a late June sending. It's already march 20th and I know I should give 3-4 weeks at least to my recommenders. Is it wise to submit my application before I have my LOR's in? How much of a time frame do I have? If I really have to I suppose I can try and write a personal statement up really quickly but I don't think it will be very good and I don't know if that's what I want my recommenders to think of me.

I realize that the situation I'm in was completely avoidable but any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well the reason they want your statement is so the rec is consistent with the themes in your application, not really for the grammar/editing etc. So I'd say, if you know your strengths and kind of what to write on your personal statement, you should be fine. Also remind them it's a draft, and update them when you finish.

It's already march 20th and I know I should give 3-4 weeks at least to my recommenders.

I don't want to send you into overdrive in panic, but it's not March 20th... it's May 21th!! June's coming up!:D

I don't want to send you into overdrive in panic, but it's not March 20th... it's May 21th!! June's coming up!:D

"Doc, wait, wait... Doc! Are you telling me... Are you telling me that it's May 21st? I'm late for school!!!"
[cue Huey Luis & the News, The Power of Love]