question about letter of recs

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
    is it ok to have two science letters of rec from the same research lab? one would be from the PI and one would be from the lead researchers right under him. would it make sense to have two letters from two ppl from the same lab even if the stuff that they make talk about is similar? :confused:

About the Ads

nina512

10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Nov 7, 2002
      I know of a friend who did this because she didn't have anyone else to ask a letter from.

However, I'd try to get an additional letter from someone outside your lab...

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 12, 2004
        I think it would make sense. The whole point of it is to get the LORs that make you stand out as a person. if they both can talk about your true character and not just about what you've done (anyone can reach your accomplishments, but not your character). I think it would be ok!

bbaek

One day at a time....
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 21, 2004
          i understand the reasoning to be safe and also have someone from outside the lab for a letter of rec.

so i will go on and do that, but if the two ppl i want letters of rec who both know me well, or will get to know me well ;), i should be ok if they have good things to say, even if it may seem to overlap a bit content wise (regarding research) but different quality wise (different, unique perception of me)

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 6, 2002
          CA
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            bbaek said:
            would a letter from a bio counselor count as a science letter of rec or a extra-curricular letter of rec?

For science letters, most schools specifically want letters from professors of classes that you were enrolled in. I kind of doubt that a bio counselor letter would count for this purpose. To play it safe, get two letters from science professors that you've had, and use the letter from your PI as an "extra" letter (icing on the cake) because some schools are really strict regarding letter requirements.

bbaek

One day at a time....
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Sep 21, 2004
              UCLAstudent said:
              For science letters, most schools specifically want letters from professors of classes that you were enrolled in. I kind of doubt that a bio counselor letter would count for this purpose. To play it safe, get two letters from science professors that you've had, and use the letter from your PI as an "extra" letter (icing on the cake) because some schools are really strict regarding letter requirements.

is it me or am i just finding it difficult to "get to know" my bio professors who teach 400-500 students per lecture class :rolleyes:

cammy1313

SDN Donor
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jul 19, 2004
              Encinitas, CA
                bbaek said:
                is it me or am i just finding it difficult to "get to know" my bio professors who teach 400-500 students per lecture class :rolleyes:

I hear ya, I had the same thoughts while I was in undergrad. I actually had to get a letter from a humanities prof that I'd never spoken too before. I got an A in his class and that was about all he could say about me. But some schools require two science and one non-science letter so didn't have much of a choice there. At any rate, the two science prof's I was able to get to know were when I was taking labs. Since they giganto courses get broken down into smaller groups of 20 or 30 when you're in lab, the profs become more accessible and actually watch you during your experiments and things. I made it a point then to try to strike up conversations with them and by the time the quarter was over they would have something substantial to convey about me.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
                10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Sep 6, 2002
                CA
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  bbaek said:

Yeah, I had the same trouble. My advice: sit in the front. Attend office hours (even if you aren't having trouble with the material ... just so that your professors remember your face). You don't have to know your professors extremely well to get a letter, but if they can recognize you and remember you as a student who was excited about the material, it will make for a more personal letter. Also, upper-division biology classes will have fewer people (100 to 200) than the lower-division pre-med "weeder" courses, so take advantage of the smaller setting. It's best if your letters come from professors whose classes you did well in, so that they can comment on how well you did relative to other students. Hope this helps! :luck:

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.