Question about Letters of Rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danielthemaniel

Overthinking
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am currently a Sophomore who has just finished research and presented a poster presentation on viral replication at a research symposium. My question is when applying to medical school, would I need a Letter from my research educator? The reason I ask is because these past two semesters under her have been over Zoom and I’m not sure if she will be able to write a letter about me, especially not for something as monumental as med school. Is it necessary to get a Letter from my research educator, and if not would it have any effect on how med schools view the research I have done when I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I am currently a Sophomore who has just finished research and presented a poster presentation on viral replication at a research symposium. My question is when applying to medical school, would I need a Letter from my research educator? The reason I ask is because these past two semesters under her have been over Zoom and I’m not sure if she will be able to write a letter about me, especially not for something as monumental as med school. Is it necessary to get a Letter from my research educator, and if not would it have any effect on how med schools view the research I have done when I apply?
If you have done research, it will stand out if you don't submit a LOR from your professor/preceptor. If you don't have a letter, I would think twice before putting it on your application.

If your research is done, ask the preceptor to draft a letter now, while she still remembers you and your work. She can keep it in her files for when you need it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have done research, it will stand out if you don't submit a LOR from your professor/preceptor. If you don't have a letter, I would think twice before putting it on your application.
So I shouldn’t include my research at all if I don’t get a letter of rec from that Professor?

@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif I thoroughly appreciate the answers I have been given, but I am wondering from an adcom perspective if this is grounds to not have my research included on my app at all. Would this negate my research work? Sorry if I’m being annoying I would just appreciate your take.

PI LORs are vastly overrated by pre-meds, and unless you're gunning for MD/PhD, I wouldn't worry about it.

Research is overrated as well.

Reactions: 1 users