Question about letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjg713

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many letters of recommendation do I need to get? is it basically 1 from a dentist and 2 from science professors? Should I start asking for them now if I was to apply in June? Lastly, do you have to have a really good relationship with the science professors you ask?

Members don't see this ad.

2 science professors
1 dentist
1 character reference
should cover a lot of schools. Some schools have specific requirements, so you may have to gather extra letters (e.g. Columbia requires 3 science letters).

Start preparing your letters as soon as possible. Your letter writers can store them in Interfolio (SDN search it or Google it), and you can use them when you apply in June.
You don't need to have a good relationship with your science professors... but you need to be able to convince them that you're worthy of a letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have to have received an A in the class? For instance I have a better relationship with a professor whose class I received a B+ in compared to one I received an A in. Also, is it okay to ask lab professors or no?