Question about Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheJourney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe most school require 2 letters of recommendation from science professors and 1 from a non-science professor. It's been a couple months since I've seen these professors that I plan on asking for letters. My first question is, should I go to their office and work my way into asking them for a letter or should I e-mail asking for when a could time would be to stop by their office to talk about the possibility of obtaining a letter of recommendation from them?

My second question is more general, is there a more preferred approach, as well as the accompanying DOs and DON'Ts.

Any advice or two cents is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you asked them already if they would be comfortable writing you a LoR? If so, I'd keep periodic contact with them. Maybe pop by just to say hi or something.
If you haven't already asked them, I think it would be best to send an e-mail and ask to meet at a time that works best for them. I think you will get a stronger LoR if you have some face time with them before they write the letter so they can remember you better. Either way, I'd do it sooner rather than later. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Medical schools will usually require anywhere from 3 to 7 letters of recommendation. When you request a letter of rec, it's often best to ask in person, whenever possible. It's far easier to say "no" to someone through email or over the phone. Attending office hours may be the most unobtrusive way to reconnect with the prof or emailing them to request an appointment. I think the method you choose to use will depend on the relationship you have with each letter writer.

When you do see them in person to request a letter, it can be helpful to prepare a packet to give them with the following materials:
  • A deadline
  • Updated and final draft of your personal statement
  • Updated copy of your resume or CV
  • Cover letter from the AMCAS letter service or Interfolio (whichever service you decide to use) with instructions on how to upload your letter and/or if they prefer to use snail mail, a stamped and pre-addressed envelope to the letter service
  • Bullet points outlining your grade in their class, length of time you have known them, and any other pertinent information that you would like for them have while writing your letter (state the facts)
For more information on who to request letters from and how many to collect, I am attaching an article here.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Always ask in person. Two of the profs who wrote my LORs automatically delete e-mails asking for LORs without responding to them. When you meet with them have all the material the person above mentioned in a folder along with your contact information. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a copy of you transcript in case any of them ask for that as well.

The 2 science 1 non-science, although common isn't a hard set rule. Not all schools require this. If a school only requires one science LOR and gives leeway with the others only submit the 2 science and 1 non if they're your strongest ones (i.e., in this case, if you have another strong LOR from a non-science prof go with that one over the potentially weaker science one). Also, it might not hurt to have 1-2 back-up letters in case something comes up.

Another question, a few professors have agreed to write me letters, my question is should I send the a thank you note now (between the time they agreed to before they submit them) saying I appreciate them taking the time blah blah blah it means a lot blah blah blah or should I wait until after they submit the letters to send a thank you note? I feel like if I go with the former I might get some brownie points that could lead to a stronger letter. Any suggestions?