Question about letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ofs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After not getting in anywhere last time I applied (in '07) I got a job in a different field after graduating (finance) and have been working since. I haven't been in contact with any old professors and didn't really do much science/volunteer related stuff due to the hours at my job.

Can I still use my old LOR's (I had to go through the health committee at my school) and maybe get a new one or two from my work I can add on? Or do I have to get all new LOR's, which may be a bit difficult since I haven't kept in touch with my professors and it has been 3/4 years already.

Members don't see this ad.

After not getting in anywhere last time I applied (in '07) I got a job in a different field after graduating (finance) and have been working since. I haven't been in contact with any old professors and didn't really do much science/volunteer related stuff due to the hours at my job.

Can I still use my old LOR's (I had to go through the health committee at my school) and maybe get a new one or two from my work I can add on? Or do I have to get all new LOR's, which may be a bit difficult since I haven't kept in touch with my professors and it has been 3/4 years already.

I'm afraid you would have to use the new ones.

I'm afraid you would have to use the new ones.

Should I just email some of my old professors and hope for the best? I think I can get at least one who I did research with for a year.

I will also have to take the mcat again (got a 33 last time, and graduated with a 3.5 gpa). For EC's, how bad will it look if I haven't done anything science/medical related the past 3 years, although I will try to get something in this year.

Should I just email some of my old professors and hope for the best? I think I can get at least one who I did research with for a year.

I will also have to take the mcat again (got a 33 last time, and graduated with a 3.5 gpa). For EC's, how bad will it look if I haven't done anything science/medical related the past 3 years, although I will try to get something in this year.

ya I do think it will look bad that you have not done anything medical related for the past 3 years. You could go back to school for a year. That way you could do volunteering, shadowing, clinical work, boost your GPA, and build good relationships with your prof. for those letters.

good luck