Question about listing psych. asst. clinical hours on APPI online...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmartinezsf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows where hours accumulated as a psychological assistant would be entered on the APPI online?

Members don't see this ad.

What is a "psych assistant"?

The APPI is clear that only hours from formally approved (by your doctoral program) practicums can be counted as hours on the APPI. Work experience, psychometrist jobs, etc. (unless they happened to be program sanctioned practicums) CAN NOT be counted. Clinical expeirence that doesnt meet this defintion can be put on your CV though and can be decribed qualitatively in the APPI's "other clinical expereinces" section.

What is a "psych assistant"?

The APPI is clear that only hours from formally approved (by your doctoral program) practicums can be counted as hours on the APPI. Work experience, psychometrist jobs, etc. (unless they happened to be program sanctioned practicums) CAN NOT be counted. Clinical expeirence that doesnt meet this defintion can be put on your CV though and can be decribed qualitatively in the APPI's "other clinical expereinces" section.

Exactly. If the hours did not occur while pursuing a doctoral and/or terminal master's degree, I don't believe there's any place they could (or should) be specifically listed in the APPIC application. And they definitely aren't something your DCT would "sign off" on.

You can of course play them up in your essays and "other clinical experiences" section as erg mentioned, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our DCT signed off on our hours last week. This is something you will need to get done very soon.

Our DCT signed off on our hours last week. This is something you will need to get done very soon.

As did mine, so I definitely second the recommendation to get your hours in to your DCT as soon as your are able. From what I've heard, many sites aren't sticklers when it comes to hours, assuming you meet the minimum required to apply--however, it's still not something you want to put off until the last minute.