danman

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok...If I get a loan (the one's you dont have to pay back till you graduate) for my baccaluareate program and I graduate...Do I have to start paying it back or since I'm still in school to become a doctor...
do I pay it back after I graduate from med schools

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
danman said:
Ok...If I get a loan (the one's you dont have to pay back till you graduate) for my baccaluareate program and I graduate...Do I have to start paying it back or since I'm still in school to become a doctor...
do I pay it back after I graduate from med schools
I think you can refinance it so that you won't have to pay until after med school. Then you can pay all your loans back! Boy, that will be fun.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
If you got a student loan for undergrad, it is deferred as long as you are in school at least half time. I just called my lender for my undergrad loans (that I've been paying on during my flux year), and they reassured me that my loans go back into deferment starting August 9 (the first day of classes - orientation doesn't count) and are deferred as long as I'm in school. I'm not clear, however, on whether they are automatically deferred through residency as med school loans are. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to show hardship and get a forbearance, however.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
You've got to apply for deferment economic hardship during residency...it isn't automatic. You can defer all of your loans.