Question about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedoutstud

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior and would like to start getting my LOR's together before applying this upcoming summer. When asking someone for a LOR, do I tell them to give them to me personally and I send them in with my secondaries, or do I ask them to send them to the schools at which I am applying? Also, if I am applying to 15-20 different schools, should I ask them to make 15-20 copies, or do I make the copies myself? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much knowledge on this topic since the review committee at my school handled organizing the LOR's. I can't imagine they give them to you just in case you tamper with what they said. For the review committee, we had to waive our right to see the letters.

If your school has a premed office, all of your letters should go directly there. The office should have a form that you can give to your letter writer. You should never see a copy of the letter. The premed office will forward the letters directly to the schools you apply to.

If your school doesn't offer this service, you will have to make alternative arrangements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT have your letter writers give them to you. When you apply, you will have the option to "waive your rights" to see these letters -- and schools prefer you do so.

following the above posts, if your school offers a letter service, have them sent there.

If not (this is the option I chose), go through a private service like VirtualEvals or Interfolio. I went through interfolio and let me tell you, it is making this process almost seemless! First, you'll need to open an account (there's a small fee). Then, for each of your recommenders, you'll need to create a document cover sheet (there's instructions online). Give your recommender a copy of this sheet and have them mail it in w/ the letter or upload it electronically. easy as 123!

hope that helps!

Thanks for the help, is it too early to start collecting my letters?