question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaire003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for this year's match. I will have 2 clinical letters, 1 research letter, in addition to the Department Chair's letter for a total of 4 letters so far. Will this be enough or do I still need another clinical letter? Also, I noticed that ERAS has space to upload only 4 letters for most programs. Does the Department Chair's letter take up one of these slots, and if so, how do I send in additional letters via ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering the Dept chair letter to be a clinical letter. They are including information for my sub-I and other evaluations, so I think that it will have the best assessment of my clinical training thus far.

I am applying for this year's match. I will have 2 clinical letters, 1 research letter, in addition to the Department Chair's letter for a total of 4 letters so far. Will this be enough or do I still need another clinical letter? Also, I noticed that ERAS has space to upload only 4 letters for most programs. Does the Department Chair's letter take up one of these slots, and if so, how do I send in additional letters via ERAS?

That's fine. The dept letter definitely will count as one of your four letters. PD do not want more than four letters, so don't try to do so. As mentioned above, the Dept letter is a clinical letter, so you have 3 clinical + 1 research -- perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the letter from the department chair required at all programs? He did look at my IM gradecard, and I did well, but I thought my letter from the IM clerkship director might be more glowing since I actually worked with that person.

We are not able to submit more than 4 letters including the chair's? Was planning on using 5 letters total...

Thanks for the info everyone, it's very helpful.

what about the departments that your letters come from? My clinical letters are one each from surgery, medicine, and psychiatry (as well as the chair's letter from medicine). I'm hoping to present myself as someone who is very versatile, and could have just as well done something other than medicine; would I have been better off trying to get more representation from my IM attendings? Thanks!