Question about LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strongboy2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be approaching a few of my former science professors for letters of recommendation. Before I do I have a question, do they give me their LOR and I make copies of it and send it to different schools?

I guess what I'm asking is, how does it get from their desk to the various medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Really good advice from member NJBMD from a different LOR thread:

Back in the "dark ages" when I asked for a letter of recommendation from my professors for medical school, I furnished them with a packet that contained the following:
  • A copy of my CV
  • A copy of my personal statement
  • A list of the medical schools and locations (that I was applying to)
  • A cover letter that contained the deadlines and addresses of where I needed the letter sent plus a thank-you.
  • A waiver of my rights to see the letter.
  • A stamped addressed envelope to my committee.
I personally delivered this packet to the professor (during office hours) when I asked them (face to face) if they would be willing to write a letter in support of my admission into medical school.

As soon as I had verification that the letter had been received by my committee, I sent a formal thank-you letter. I did not ever sent an e-mail other than to update them on my progress in the admissions process.

I didn't have any problems obtaining far more letters than I needed for this process.

So, what do I do if my undergrad school doesn't have a pre-med committee to handle the LORs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear there's a service called Interfolio that lets you send them letters, then they make copies and mail out the letters to all the med schools.

I don't have an admission committee either. My Health Career Center told me to obtain LORs from faculty members, the PI in your lab, or directors of your volunteer programs. Other than that, I guess you would just have to ask anyone who knows your character and work ethic.

If you don't have a committee stop by your career services department and explain that you need a waiver for access to letters of recommendation. The reason I'm giving you this info is that most students waive their right to access LORs. Unwaived access looks a bit "suspicious" because it can come across as cherry picking what letters you like. Since you don't have a committee I would sign up for either Interfolio or VirtualEvals to handle the bulk of the paperwork. The professor/writer sends or uploads the letter to the respective agency and the agency is responsible for distributing the letter. Schools get the letter by logging in and downloading it, I believe. Most schools accept online letter services. You can also furnish your writers with addressed envelopes to the schools you plan on submitting secondaries to.

One more question, I have been hearing for the first time lately on these boards that medical schools expect (or require?) one non-science professor letter of recommendation. Is this absolutely necessary?

I only ask because I am trying to line up LORs at the moment and I have NO IDEA what non-science teacher would know me well enough to write one...

Hmm, contrary to strongboy i have the exact opposite problem. i have several non science faculty that would probably give me good lors but i really only have one science...

i have a question. i'm doing an independent research course this summer and while technically the prof is nonscience, the research is. meaning, she's from music research, but my (and her) research is focused solely on respiration and musicians. does she still count as non science?...