Question about M.S. degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not dental education, but dentistry. I think the letters should relate to the practice of dentistry.

But what I really think is that my Suns are whooooooopin' the Lakers. :D

But PC doesn't relate to the practice of dentistry, it informs the reader about the tax liabilities of the guy advertising it. Simply because he's a dentist doesn't make the acronym dental related. You can find plenty of MD, PC, DC, PC, JD, PC and MBA, PCs too.

Members don't see this ad.

......We are a profession governed by ourselves. Our ethics, integrity, and public image rests in our hands. .......

.. No vile remarks have been made, no derogatory statements towards individuals. .

At the risk of :beat:

The manual on business etiquette that you are using as a guide must have the word misleading under the chapter on friendly greetings. Your remarks and those of others with words such as misleading/ unethical may be seen by others as inflammatory and accusatory.

Your assertion that dentistry is a profession governed by dentists will be a perplexing news flash for many, if not all, state legislators and members of State Board of Dental Examiners.

Strictly speaking, an M.S. degree in a dental specialty makes the bearer more qualified (“better” dentist if you prefer) only in a specific area of dentistry and most certainly not in all facets of general practice. (Does an M.S. in Dental Public Health create the same problem?)

If our goal is to eliminate the source of confusion it would be more reasonable to suggest that dentists (and other health professionals) clarify their credentials by designating the major. Thus we would have D.D.S., M.S. (Orthodontics). D.D.S., M.S. (Chemistry), D.D.S., Ph.D. (Physics) and in the case of the OP, D.D.S., M.S. (Neuroimmunology).