Question about M1 summer research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acarolina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a couple questions about research, and would appreciate any advice a great deal.

I am an M1 currently interested in ENT, NSG, and Orthopedics (Sports Med maybe?). My school has an amazing research fellowship opportunity for the summer that I want to submit an application for, but it is due Jan 1, and I am having a really hard time deciding which specialty to conduct research in (almost equally interested in all 3, and I know all 3 specialties heavily value research), whether to pursue bench or clinical research, and whether to conduct research at my school or contact professors/attendings at other schools (I attend a top-40 school but, in my opinion, we are lacking in research amount and quality, and I would be willing to go somewhere else for the summer to conduct research).

Would any of you all have any advice to offer addressing any or all of my questions? Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Given that you’re interested in all surgical specialties, just go for something in surgery. If any of those 3 seems to be a little more interesting to you go for it, you can always change your mind later and do additional research or case reports.

Also, you could start doing some shadowing to clarify which one of those three you want...

Reactions: 2 users
You could do something in skull base surgery, covers ENT and NSurg, and I think ortho cares a little about how the spine connects to the head.

I'm going into NSurg. I did Ortho spine research early in med school because, ahem, Ortho had their ish together. NSurg people have liked it so far. So it worked out.

You can do research in anything, like surgery as said above, it doesn't matter. But if you want to be more specific, think of the two specialties that you are most interested in.

1) NSurg and ENT: skull base/pituitary
2) NSurg and Ortho: any spine surgery
3) ENT and Ortho: skull/face trauma kind of research? Not sure.

Normally I'd say do research in the most competitive one, but hell, let's be real, they're all competitive.

Reactions: 1 user