Question about masters degree and prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilyN26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an undergraduate degree from a top 5 university and will be matriculating to a top 5 MD program in Fall 2017 (deferred). I have the opportunity to do a masters at a CUNY (essentially free), but I'm not sure how the prestige (or lack thereof) of the school might affect my future career prospects--or rather individuals' perceptions. I hope this question doesn't come off as obnoxious, but I would very much appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would your MSc have any noticeable effect on your MD career prospects?

Since your terminal degree is what matters most I highly doubt it will affect your carreer prospects unless you got a masters in say business and tried to join a consulting firm but even then they might just go this person is a doctor from a top 5 med school AND did her ugrad at XYZ shes probably smart enough anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, going to the CUNY is going to erase all of the prestige points you've gathered. It's going to essentially seem like you graduated from the Caribbean now.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming you go on to earn your MD as planned, there will be virtually zero value to your masters degree. I'm not saying you won't learn anything of value, just that the degree itself will add nothing to your resume. (Won't subtract anything either.) Is that the best use of your time?

Reactions: 1 users
A master's degree is essentially an expensive 5th year of college. The only worthwhile ones are an mph and an mba. No one looks at a fordham grad that did a master's at columbia and thinks they are a columbia grad.

Reactions: 1 user
Care to be a bit more specific on the type of masters? It would most likely help us give you better advice.

Hello all,

I have an undergraduate degree from a top 5 university and will be matriculating to a top 5 MD program in Fall 2017 (deferred). I have the opportunity to do a masters at a CUNY (essentially free), but I'm not sure how the prestige (or lack thereof) of the school might affect my future career prospects--or rather individuals' perceptions. I hope this question doesn't come off as obnoxious, but I would very much appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

The direct answer is an MS from a CUNY is worthless (why bother?). Now if you're a Rhodes/Gates etc winner and getting an MSc from abroad at like Oxford/Cambridge, that would be very helpful in the long term.

Although it is pleasant (and personally satisfying) to earn a graduate degree it is doubtful if a master's degree will have an appreciable effect on your future career prospects unless you are trying to appeal to folks who have earned a master's degree from the same university (e.g., networking with Rhodes Scholars as pointed out by @Lawper).

On the other hand, if you're earning the master's degree (essentially free, in your own words) to "kill some time" before you matriculate at medical school (Fall 2017, due to deferral), then go ahead, and have fun.

Short story to illustrate the point: I have earned multiple degrees and folks rarely ever ask about the source of my degrees. Very rarely. They're not interested. Instead, they want to focus on the substance and quality of my professional expertise, knowledge and other related services. In other words, what is *it* that I can provide to them as a professional? Actually, the only folks who have ever shown an interest in knowing the "names of the universities" that have awarded the degrees have been academic recruiters employed by Universities, or Fellowship folks.

Thank you.

Last edited: