Question about Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blanch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In looking at some match lists for different schools, I noticed that a large percentage of the class stays on with their schools own affiliated hospitals, at least 20-25% of grads at most schools. This seems to be just as true for lower to middle tier schools as it is for top schools. From your experience knowing people that matched, is this due to the fact that people fall in love with an area or develop ties with faculty, or is it simply statistically easier to get matched at your own school?

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that all of the above are factors. Some people stay in the area because they have family ties/kids in school, etc. and don't want to disrupt that; others are more comfortable in a known environment and don't want to go through with the hassle of moving, learning new procedures/methods of doing things, meeting new people, etc. and in some places it is easier to match at your home program.

I'm not sure if there's a published study on this phenomenon.

I would imagine that it's easier to do rotations at local places than far away places, and thus easier to get a good look at places and make a good impression. Just speculation though.