Question about match rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xraided

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed for PGY1 residency at a teaching hospital in So Cal, was the only program I applied and interviewed for. They had 3 residency spots. They interviewed over 30 applicants. The scramble list shows they have one spot open. I obviously didnt match, does that mean they probably didnt rank me as an acceptable applicant? They would rather not have any one of the 30 or so applicants they interviewed to fill the spot?? Can someone explain this? the match rank is still very unclear to me.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the statistics, if they had three spots...they most likely ranked about ~12 applicants. That means 2 of those applicants ranked this particular program high enough on their list to match. The other 10 or so applicants matched at programs they ranked higher than this particular program.

Very sorry about the result. :( Did you try out the scramble?

I would still try to contact them. You are a known entity and it can't hurt. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed for PGY1 residency at a teaching hospital in So Cal, was the only program I applied and interviewed for. They had 3 residency spots. They interviewed over 30 applicants. The scramble list shows they have one spot open. I obviously didnt match, does that mean they probably didnt rank me as an acceptable applicant? They would rather not have any one of the 30 or so applicants they interviewed to fill the spot?? Can someone explain this? the match rank is still very unclear to me.

tell them you know Lexington Steele and reapply.

but seriously, they did not rank you. programs can rank as many people as they want. if you did not match, they 100% did not rank you.

Thanks guys,i

No scramble, it was a hit or miss for residency, I just applied to the program because it was nearby, there was probably like 12 spots open within 2 hrs driving distance from me, but I am not willing to move. I thought I was a strong cadidate, 3.0+ gpa, worked 3 years as intern in hospital pharm, I thought the interview went well, and I thought i did a good job with the case, i guess it just wasnt meant to be. I dont think it was even a national recognizeed program.

Is it possible that they didn't rank everybody and one person that they decided to rank dropped out?? It's very possible. It doesn't hurt to call and ask.

I only interviewed at this place. By reading the forums it seems like it is most common to be interviewed by multiple members of a residency comittee. I only got interviewed by one person. Do you think its a good idea to email this person and ask for feedback on the interview, as a way to make improvements for future job interviews.

I only interviewed at this place. By reading the forums it seems like it is most common to be interviewed by multiple members of a residency comittee. I only got interviewed by one person. Do you think its a good idea to email this person and ask for feedback on the interview, as a way to make improvements for future job interviews.

Couldn't hurt. I'd say go for it. You may also want to seek out faculty at your current school and do a few mock interviews. :luck: