Question about matching into various residencies

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by ralphlaurenfan, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ralphlaurenfan

ralphlaurenfan purple label
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi,

I'm still a pre-med, so please excuse my (probable) ignorance, but I have a question about the ease of matching for DOs into particular specialties.

Currently, I have an interest in these fields in order of preferance (And yes, I know it's early):

1. Opthalmology/Neurology (not too interested in neurosurgery...more a diagnosis kind of guy)
    2. General Surgery (no specialization)/Anesthesiology
    3. Cardiology (yes I know it's a fellowship)
    4. Rheumatology/PM&R
    5. Emergency Med
    6. Pain Medicine

I was wondering how much problem DOs typically have matching/obtaining fellowships into these fields? In all honesty, I'd really like Opthalmology the most, but I know that that's basically a dream even if I match into MD, so my question is mostly how hard it is to match into the other fields I listed. With the exception of probably cardiology and anesthesiology, the other fields are traditionally not too bad to get into (so I think I'm being somewhat reasonable here), but would being a DO put me at a large disadvantage? I've read lots of stuff, and there really hasn't been much of a clear answer (although I do keep reading that the discrimination is decreasing), so I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

thanks