Question about math requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlplucien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was curious as to whether or not I should be set at most med schools as far as math goes. My school runs on a trimester system, and so far I have taken 1 year of math. However, I did not take actual calculus. I took college algebra/precalc, business calculus, and discrete mathematics. I've also taken computer science classes which some schools seem to count as math. Should I be fine or should I still take calculus or statistics?

Members don't see this ad.

Statistics is RECOMMENDED by most schools, so is Calculus. The only schools I can think of that actually require Calc/Stats are UCI for sure and maybe some other UCs. Harvard too. You might just have to go through some random schools to get a feel for how many require it.

Statistics is RECOMMENDED by most schools, so is Calculus. The only schools I can think of that actually require Calc/Stats are UCI for sure and maybe some other UCs. Harvard too. You might just have to go through some random schools to get a feel for how many require it.

Am i at a disadvantage at most schools if I don't take regular calculus or statistics though? Or should I be competitive enough with my math classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Am i at a disadvantage at most schools if I don't take regular calculus or statistics though? Or should I be competitive enough with my math classes?

Since this question comes up a lot I'm just going to be nice and do this :p

Mt. Sinai, Duke, U of Colorado, Einstein, all UCs pretty much, U of Iowa, Penn State, U of Wisconsin, U of Alabama, Georgetown, U of S. Florida, U of Missouri, UMDNJ, OHSU, MC Wisconsin, U of S. Alabama, U of Toledo, U of S. Dekota, U of Louisville, Virginia Commonwealth, Florida State, U of Kansas, Michigan State, U of N. Dekota, Wright State, U of Arkansas, U of Mississippi, Morehouse, and all the Carib. schools have math REQUIREMENTS. Most other schools recommend it, the degree to which they "recommend" varies so that's something you'd either have to ask them directly or others who applied there. I'd visit the websites of those schools listed above that you think you'd be interested in and see what their requirements are exactly (Calc, precalc, anything?).

Good luck!

Since this question comes up a lot I'm just going to be nice and do this :p

Mt. Sinai, Duke, U of Colorado, Einstein, all UCs pretty much, U of Iowa, Penn State, U of Wisconsin, U of Alabama, Georgetown, U of S. Florida, U of Missouri, UMDNJ, OHSU, MC Wisconsin, U of S. Alabama, U of Toledo, U of S. Dekota, U of Louisville, Virginia Commonwealth, Florida State, U of Kansas, Michigan State, U of N. Dekota, Wright State, U of Arkansas, U of Mississippi, Morehouse, and all the Carib. schools have math REQUIREMENTS. Most other schools recommend it, the degree to which they "recommend" varies so that's something you'd either have to ask them directly or others who applied there. I'd visit the websites of those schools listed above that you think you'd be interested in and see what their requirements are exactly (Calc, precalc, anything?).
Good luck!

That's more help than I can offer! I was told that Calc I & II are requirements for most schools, and statistics is recommended. Since I enjoy math, I took calc III and linear algebra as well. You really have to look at the websites of all medical schools to which you're applying. I took medical physiology, and calculus was actually applied, so I imagine you at least need Calc I. Good luck!