question about may 15th deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the rules for the may 15th deadline. I'm holding acceptances at two schools right now, one state school and one private school. I'm basically definitely going to the private school, but the only thing I'm not sure about is my financial aid status for that school. If there is a problem with financial aid, then I would have to go to my state school

I want to keep both schools past the 15th until I get my financial aid approved. I know I'll lose my 100 dollar deposit. But, is there another penality for holding your spots past the 15th? And anyone else in the same situation where they're still not sure about financial aid info and thus can't make a choice by the 15th?

Members don't see this ad.

zurned said:
What are the rules for the may 15th deadline. I'm holding acceptances at two schools right now, one state school and one private school. I'm basically definitely going to the private school, but the only thing I'm not sure about is my financial aid status for that school. If there is a problem with financial aid, then I would have to go to my state school

I want to keep both schools past the 15th until I get my financial aid approved. I know I'll lose my 100 dollar deposit. But, is there another penality for holding your spots past the 15th? And anyone else in the same situation where they're still not sure about financial aid info and thus can't make a choice by the 15th?

The deadline is there for a reason. AMCAS specifies that you can only hold ONE acceptance after the May 15th deadline. I'm not sure if this is an urban legend but I heard that schools can rescind their acceptance if you are found holding more than one acceptance. I think that most of the time they call you and tell you to make a decision asap. There are schools that aren't timely with their financial aid and put applicants in a bad position of deciding on a school without financial aid info. Call the FA office to speak to them about it. But don't keep 2 acceptances after the deadline.

Schools can and do sometimes give people permission to hold 2 acceptances after the deadline in situations like these, but you need to be very upfront with them and make sure that they are OK with it.

P.S. - I feel your pain. I'm still waiting on some finaid stuff, too. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
It's good to know that schools can be reasonable. Definitely call the schools and talk directly about this issue. Good luck!

titoincali said:
It's good to know that schools can be reasonable. Definitely call the schools and talk directly about this issue. Good luck!

I agree. This also depends on what school it is. I spoke with an admissions officer recently who said their schol has a strict policy regrding the deadline. They will give a student a couple of days after sending a warning email the day after the deadline, after which time they will drop you - no questoins asked. So call the schools before the deadline.