question about MD versus MD/PhD secondary essayss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prufrock0880

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on secondaries, and I don't want there to be conflicts in my MD versus MD/PhD essays. For example, Columbia's MD secondary asks you to describe what satisfactions you expect to receive as a physician, while their MD/PhD essay asks you about your goals as a Physician/Scientist. Is it OK to leave research out of the MD essay entirely and talk about "true doctor" stuff? Or will my career plans not make sense when the two essays are read side by side?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

prufrock0880 said:
I am working on secondaries, and I don't want there to be conflicts in my MD versus MD/PhD essays. For example, Columbia's MD secondary asks you to describe what satisfactions you expect to receive as a physician, while their MD/PhD essay asks you about your goals as a Physician/Scientist. Is it OK to leave research out of the MD essay entirely and talk about "true doctor" stuff? Or will my career plans not make sense when the two essays are read side by side?
Thanks!

Well look it at this way, if you were to "just" do the MD, would research be apart of satisfaction you expect to receive? Mostly likely yes! Remember that adcoms are made up of a bunch of MDs, PhDs, and MD/PhDs who almost ALL do research. Research is not a dirty word. No research probably shouldn't be a main focus of that MD essay on your secondary. While its important to be smart as your through this admissions process, remember that you should always to be open and honest. If research is important to you, you don't have to hide it when speaking with MDs. Research is an integral aspect of medicine whether or not you have PhD. Maybe I am totally off here but I say include research. Your career plans should be concurrent for both md and md/phd essays; otherwise, it may lead the adcoms to question your true intentions and interestes. Provide a cohesive story, but feel free to emphasize "true doctor" stuff (whatever that means...?) and research stuff in each respective essay. Best of luck, and PM me if you have an further questions or concerns.

I am curious what others think on this subject.

To the OP, I talked about research for the Columbia essay because its certainly something that I want to do even as a MD and will definitely be something I find satisfaction in. Good Luck!