Question about med school preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VoiceofReason

all i care about is money
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently recieved some acceptances so now I'm starting to look to the future here -- and I'm wondering, does it make any sense to get the school's detailed curriculum and hit up a med library while I wait for school to start, to get a head start on these topics?

Any other advice that pops into anyone's head reading this would be appreciated too, even if its only peripherally related. Thanks folks!

Members don't see this ad.

enjoy your last months of freedom. i promise you it will do NO good to try and prepare ahead of time.

My advice...enjoy every minute you have and absolutely no more book-cracking! Obviously if you're still in school you need to pass your classes to keep those acceptances, but there are other experiences that you will and should look back on and appreciate a lot more than hours in a library. There will be plenty of that in your future. Besides, I have friends in my class that took full length anatomy courses and such before starting school, and they all feel that they regretted the time they spent. Even though everything you've learned so far will help you in med school, it won't make or break you, how else could photojournalism majors do well (and I do know one!). Go on vacation, meet new people, run a marathon, just enjoy yourself.

One other note, if you must learn something new for med school, make it spanish. Not all schools offer formal training in a foreign language, mine doesn't. That would have been the one thing I would have done, and it would have been worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pre-med issue and now moving to Pre-Allopathic forum.

My advice...enjoy every minute you have and absolutely no more book-cracking! Obviously if you're still in school you need to pass your classes to keep those acceptances, but there are other experiences that you will and should look back on and appreciate a lot more than hours in a library. There will be plenty of that in your future. Besides, I have friends in my class that took full length anatomy courses and such before starting school, and they all feel that they regretted the time they spent. Even though everything you've learned so far will help you in med school, it won't make or break you, how else could photojournalism majors do well (and I do know one!). Go on vacation, meet new people, run a marathon, just enjoy yourself.

One other note, if you must learn something new for med school, make it spanish. Not all schools offer formal training in a foreign language, mine doesn't. That would have been the one thing I would have done, and it would have been worth it.

Thank you very much for your advice, I think I just might take it.

To clarify, I graduated in august so I dont have any college related stuff to worry about really except to keep trying to get my biochem NIH research published.

At the moment I'm sort of re-reading my biochemistry textbook leisurely (but more thoroughly) for no real reason other than personal interest and curiosity. My only real plan is to hike the appalachian trail for two weeks with my buddies because now i'll actually have the time for it. That still leaves a lot of time so thats why I was wondering about getting ahead.

Anyway I do have some introductory spanish in my background but thats not nearly enough. A medical spanish course would be awesome but can you find that anywhere outside of a med school?