z

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slytherclaw12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
z

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It varies school to school. Best bet would be to take a college writing course and a literature course. However, some schools require additional humanities, so that class would work as well. IMO take what you want, whatever makes you happy and do well.

When med schools say that they require an english class, does it have to be a class in pure english? For instance, if I wanted to take a humanities class that is heavy in writing and analyzing literature (arguably what you would do in an english class), why is the prerequisite a specific english class? I thought it might be to improve your critical reading (and thus CARS section on the MCAT), but I feel like you could gain those skills for another class. I'm just curious about this--no ulterior motives here. What do you guys think?
Some schools will allow you to substitute a writing-intensive class for an English class, but you'd have to petition each school individually for permission if exceptions aren't discussed on the school's website.

When med schools say that they require an english class, does it have to be a class in pure english? For instance, if I wanted to take a humanities class that is heavy in writing and analyzing literature (arguably what you would do in an english class), why is the prerequisite a specific english class? I thought it might be to improve your critical reading (and thus CARS section on the MCAT), but I feel like you could gain those skills for another class. I'm just curious about this--no ulterior motives here. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
I suggest that you visit each school's Admissions website and see what they have to say. For example, here is U UT:

Writing/Speech
One year of courses that emphasize written and/or verbal communication