question about meharry's student body.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am not a black, so i am just wondering if meharry ever accept other students of other races?

thanks. if they do, what is the percentage?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that question is very closed minded. What school in the U.S. is all one race. Be for real. It is 2000 dude. Although Meharry is a predominately black medical school, It still has diversity, come on! I can't believe people still ask questions like that. Vanderbilt, and Duke have other races than whites, so why ask if Meharry has other races than black. That might have been the most ignorant comment I have ever read on this forum. Lets call it fair O.K. Seriously, the popualtion of minority med students at meharry(non-black) is approximately 20%. I hope that helps.

that is not an ignorant comment. usa is not a black dominant country, but the majority at meharry is black. so who is the ignorant one? huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
So what? And if I go to an English university I'm an American minority, right? Who cares? I look on this as an opportunity to experience cultural diversity, a chance to sample the lives of other races. Are you so afraid of blacks that you can't live with them? If Meharry is a good school (personally, I've never heard of it), are you going to let your prejudicial fear of another race prevent you from getting the education you want?

Youngjock, I only hope you aren't trying to bring on another flame post. You've had far too many in the past.

------------------
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night,
God said "Let Newton be," and all was light.

-- Alexander Pope

i am not a white, either. your presumption just shows how ignorant you are. i asked a simple question, now i got a lecture on racial awareness.

meharry is a predominant black college. i don't think that that question was out of boundary.

why would i apply that college if they don't accpet other races?

stop projecting yourself as a god, just give me an answer!

Originally posted by dococ:
Vanderbilt and Duke have other races than whites, so why ask if Meharry has other races than black.

Meharry was founded as part of a "continuing effort to educate freed slaves and to provide health care services for the poor and under-served." It specifically describes itself as being "the largest private historically black institution exclusively dedicated to educating health care professionals and biomedical scientists in the United States" (both quotations from Meharry's website). Since the school's manadate and history are clearly not equivalent to those of Duke and Vanderbilt, it's not really fair to compare them. That said, I think dococ is correct in his assertion that no medical school is made up exclusively of one group of people -- whether we're speaking in terms of ethnicity, religion, or educational background. Even most state schools have out-of-state students in attendance. I wouldn't expect Meharry to be an exception.

Originally posted by Socceroo4ever:
If Meharry is a good school (personally, I've never heard of it), are you going to let your prejudicial fear of another race prevent you from getting the education you want?

Given the fact that Meharry is still known as a predominantly black institution, I think that youngjock's query is entirely valid. Please don't assume that it's motivated by prejudicial fear. It could have been simple curiosity.

I stand corrected. Youngjock, I have no idea what the percentage of non-black students at Meharry is. You would be able to find these statistics at either Meharry's web site or else from the MSAR published by AAMC.

Best of luck! Seems I could do some more searching on colleges in the area. I'd never heard of Meharry and still don't know where it is! Must be good anyway.

------------------
Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night,
God said "Let Newton be," and all was light.

-- Alexander Pope

wow. i must say this is too much!!

youngjock, where in the world do you come up with the crap you ask. do you know what would be funny? if one knew you, to send all your post to the admission dept off all md/do schools. (oh, i forgot you are too smart to go do) this would be a sure plus to the medical field!! sorry for being critical, but you set yourslef up for this one.

------------------
ob/gyn wannabe

There is nothing stupid about the original question. One of my white friends applied to Meharry because he thought it would give him a better training for the kind of medicine he plans to practice (he is a male version of Mother Theresa wannabe, IMHO, but that is another story). His numbers weren't stupendous but were above the published numbers for the entering class at Meharry (he had a 30 MCAT, a 3.5 overall GPA and a 3.2 science GPA). Meharry didn't even offer him an interview. He ended up at his state MD school. Personally, I could not believe that he even applied to Meharry but he really has this thing about wanting to practice medicine in the inner city, whatever. He also applied to Howard. They didn't even sent him a rejection letter. They never even sent him any kind of reply. He called and they told him they were still looking at his file...as far as I know they are still looking at it now, and he is an MS2 right now
smile.gif

Discrimination is not the prerogative of any race.

Last post wrote "I can't beleive that he applied to meharry". What does that mean? Do you know anything about Meharry besides them not admitting your buddy. Meharry has been around for almost 80 or so years. WHATEVER. This is my last time bringing this up. Meharry has produced as many surgeons, Opthamologists, etc. as any school in the nation. Do some research smart guy! You guys are too silly for me. Tell me one good reason why you think that Meharry is not a good school? You people kill me talking about things you don't know a damn thing about. i am OUT! www.justlettingyouknow!.com

so tell me about your research, how many non-blacks meharry has produced so far. what is the average mcat, gpa a meharry student has?

Originally posted by dococ:
Do some research smart guy! You guys are too silly for me. Tell me one good reason why you think that Meharry is not a good school? You people kill me talking about things you don't know a damn thing about. i am OUT! www.justlettingyouknow!.com

Dococ,

With all due respect, I think you're overreacting here. I haven't seen any comments indicating criticism of Meharry's program -- simply questions about the school's admissions policies and history.

There is nothing "racist" about asking these questions.

To the original questions: yes, Meharry does accept other races besides african-american (I think the class percentage each year is around 4% but don't quote me on that).

And for the person whose friend was not accepted and did't receive a reply, this is the best explaination I have to offer. I have a lot of friends who applied to the predominately black medical schools (some are starting off their first year there). From what they have told me, they are very disorganized in the application process. Your friend was not an isolated incident. Our premed advisor (knowing the disorganization) told us to call those schools as soon as we figured our applications were received, and to have them pull out the application in front of them.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!