Question about multiple acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackshad-o

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just want to clarify. If I have more than one acceptance offer, I can accept them all (if I pay all of the deposits)? Accepting my spot at one school is not a formal commitment to that school, and I can hold spots from multiple schools, right?

Sorry for the neuroticism.

Members don't see this ad.

advice - when choosing schools, look (among other things) at their remediation policy. in other words, what would happen if you failed an exam. EVen if you never fail anything in medical school, knowing that it would have serious consequences is a big source of anxiety for students. Some schools dont require retakes at all, some offer it during summer only. In my school, for example, it is not too big of a deal, and you can retake the following week. So, look into that.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
advice - when choosing schools, look (among other things) at their remediation policy. in other words, what would happen if you failed an exam. EVen if you never fail anything in medical school, knowing that it would have serious consequences is a big source of anxiety for students. Some schools dont require retakes at all, some offer it during summer only. In my school, for example, it is not too big of a deal, and you can retake the following week. So, look into that.
interesting, i never thought of this but hope i can remember this come april if i hopefully have multiple acceptances to choose between :)

Reactions: 1 user

I never considered that. How would you recommend we find this information out? Emailing admissions or asking for a current students email to message them personally?

I never considered that. How would you recommend we find this information out? Emailing admissions or asking for a current students email to message them personally?
just ask it during the interview day, maybe not on the interview itself, but when administrative stuff or students do their presentations about school. This is VERY important, i cannot stress it enough. And if they are not giving you a direct answer, i would personally think of it as a bit of a red flag.

I am sure you can find it online though, it should be somewhere in the depth of the handbook if they have one. But asking is faster. you could also call the office of academic development or shoot them an email. Doing it after the acceptance is probably even better, because lets face it, - if this is your only acceptance, of course you are going to go. After you are accepted, you will be talking to administrative staff a lot, fullfilling various requirements, and it would be totally natural for you to ask questions are that point.

What if you accept a spot at a school, and in May your dream school offers you a spot?
You will be asked to drop all other waitlist positions and active applications on April 30th so this will not occur so long as you already hold an acceptance (if you follow the CTE deadline protocol). There will be some variations between schools on the exact deadline and their requirements but this is the general AAMC guideline.

What if you accept a spot at a school, and in May your dream school offers you a spot?
If you PTE at Good School A on April 30th and they have a CTE of June 15th. You can wait up until June 15th for Dream School B to accept you IF the Good School A allows you to be on waitlists after the PTE date (check school regulations).

Last edited:
would you recommend mentioning this at all during interviews for the "why us"? obviously it wouldn't be a focal talking point, but maybe a good little thing to throw in there that most people wont mention? or would it be a red flag because failing shouldn't even be on our radar?

would you recommend mentioning this at all during interviews for the "why us"? obviously it wouldn't be a focal talking point, but maybe a good little thing to throw in there that most people wont mention? or would it be a red flag because failing shouldn't even be on our radar?
I think it depends on how you spin it . If you say “your remediation policy” that might look like you are trying to fail . But if you say that you like how supportive university is Of students , how many resources are available (name a few), and throw in remediation there as well , I think it’s fine

Reactions: 1 users