Question about My scores + Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iistoogood4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Be honest, do I have a real shot at any schools with my gpa and scores:
GPA- 2.78

PAT 17
QR 21
RC 19
BIO 22
GCHEM 20
OCHEM 21
TS 21
AA 21

Hours of volunteer- 250
Some community service clubs/organizations

So do I have a shot at any schools? I already graduate so getting a higher GPA is out of the question. I do however, think retaking my crapped classes at a JC mite help clear some misunderstandings the admissions ppl mite have. Please comment, any info would help. If you got similar gpa/scores, please say something here so I can get some hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Understand exactly how you feel... try not to worry too much, just apply early and see what happens....

there's always hope!!! get to know the school you want to go to...and make them love you, however you can!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance. You need to apply early, get everything in by May for the 2008 cycle. Keep taking your classes, I know you won't be able to boost your GPA by much, but take upper level biology classes. Good luck.

DAT wise you're fine..and taking some classes again at a different school or JC to bring them up can only help your case. So do that, and get as much experience as you possibly can in the dental field..rock the personal statement..and make sure you have some sweet LORs. B/c remember..its not all about the numbers...yes thats the biggest factor..but there are a fair amount of people this cycle with lower end DATs and GPA's getting into schools over people with solid #'s. All you can do is beef up all the areas that you can. Good luck! oh..and apply crazy early

Before you enroll at a junior college/community college, just realize that some schools won't accept the credits. I don't have a specific list, but do some searches on here and you'll find numerous threads discussing the issue.

Be honest, do I have a real shot at any schools with my gpa and scores:
GPA- 2.78

PAT 17
QR 21
RC 19
BIO 22
GCHEM 20
OCHEM 21
TS 21
AA 21

Hours of volunteer- 250
Some community service clubs/organizations

So do I have a shot at any schools? I already graduate so getting a higher GPA is out of the question. I do however, think retaking my crapped classes at a JC mite help clear some misunderstandings the admissions ppl mite have. Please comment, any info would help. If you got similar gpa/scores, please say something here so I can get some hope.

I would retake classes and do some research.

I already graduate so getting a higher GPA is out of the question.

I don't think getting a higher GPA is out of the question at all. A lot of people re-take sciences or even take additional sciences to increase their chances.

When you submit your application, they ask you to include all additional course work.

Your GPA is on the low end. If you were to take some additional sciences and do well, I think that would definitely be beneficial for your application.

This coming spring quarter I'm going to take extension courses and see where that takes me. I'll call some schools today to find out what I should do, I'll keep things posted here.

So far, Howard and NYU gave me the impression that my scores are not high enough. They didnt tell me that exactly but it felt like that talking to the admission counselor. Any students out there got got accepted with similar stats? Bump for advice and guidance.

I mite head back to the books.

You need to def. retake classes at Jr College. Many schools accept jr college credits, there are some schools that don't, but I'd guess they are about 5 to 8 schools. Hypothetically if you crapped on every pre-reqs. You could just start taking general bio and 2 more semesters of other bio courses, and along with that you can start taking gen chem up to Orgo. Oh, and 2 semesters of physics. Before your second year is over, you can probably apply the summer before, and have a transcript saying that you will be finishing those classes before you enroll the dental school.