Question about Neuro positions in SOAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most likely I will be able to match in Neurology, I would like some advice though on Neuro in SOAP in case I don't.

How competitive are the few spots in Neuro? Do you usually have people who didn't match into Neurosurgery pining for them, increasing their competitiveness? Or is it generally about the same profile of people as applied to Neuro initially through the main match?

Didn't see any thread asking roughly the same thing after searching.

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely I will be able to match in Neurology, I would like some advice though on Neuro in SOAP in case I don't.

How competitive are the few spots in Neuro? Do you usually have people who didn't match into Neurosurgery pining for them, increasing their competitiveness? Or is it generally about the same profile of people as applied to Neuro initially through the main match?

I doubt you would get very many neurosurgery applicants switching in SOAP to neurology.

Reactions: 1 user

You'll be competing against people who didn't match in IM, Neuro, Psych and Path. Not exactly the top of the heap.

Another issue is the supply of Neuro SOAP positions - by NRMP data, looks like there were 13 unfilled slots last year and only 3 the year before. Just not great odds especially if your stats the cause of your lack of matching.

Hopefully, this is all a waste of time to think about.

What your options will be depends upon what you did with your ROL. If you listed prelims on your main ROL, and match into one of them, then you'll be limited to PGY-2 advanced neuro spots in SOAP. If you didn't, then you can apply to PGY-1 cat or PGY-2 adv spots (but then you need a prelim year also in SOAP).

Because the number of neuro spots will be relatively small, you'll apply to most of them, and then supplement with prelims if needed.

Some unsuccessful NS applicants do apply to Neuro. Programs are often worried about taking them -- they are very different fields, and someone really interested in NS is unlikely to be happy in Neuro.

Reactions: 1 user
You will match Neuro if you ranked >6 programs.
Lol this is coming from the guy who recently posted about being unsure you'd match into neuro at all with over 16 ranked spots as an AMG?? lol glad to see you were trying to make others panic for nothing. "Everyone brace yourself for the match. Instead of optimistically hoping to match our top 3 - I am lucky to get matched AT ALL ranking 16 programs."

It's offical: this year is by far the most competitive cycle for Neurology

Reactions: 2 users