• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

doctron

Robot Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Can anyone give me some information about the practice settings of psychiatrists who are fellowship trained in neuropsych/behavioral neuro. Are most of these doctors practicing in ivory tower tertiary care research centers? Are the ones in the community setting doing mostly neuropsych evals for dementia patients or are they working on teams caring for post-stroke patients? Also, If anyone could give me some general "in-the-know" info on this subspecialty I would be much obliged.

sikegeek

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey there- I did a 4th Neuropsych elective. I worked at a specific ward at a state hospital- we saw a lot patieinents with multiple diseases- TBI, MR, FAS etc combined with affective/bipolar/personality disorders. Patients were very interesting-colorful! We did daily rounds- these patients needed intensive monitoring, med adjustments, behavioral interventions. Patients stayed on the unit for months, so you really get to know them.

We also did office consults- like newly diagnosed dementias that have some type of behavioral component. I thought some parts were frustrating because you might diagnose a patient with HD or AD, but you know it's all downhill for them. And their families are so devastated. It's tough.

A lot of them spend sometime doing research. If you have any specific ?s, let me know!

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
MY understanding of Neuropsych.

Basically if you think you are going to do this fellowship for more money, you are probably wrong. And unless you plan to be in an academic setting, it will be difficult to completely isolate your practice into Neuropsychiatry patients. Still it may be worthwhile to pursue just out of love for the field.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.