Question about New Goljan Rapid Review page 6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on page 6 of the Rapid Review of Pathology (new edition) is says under Smooth Endoplasmic reticulum:
Drugs like alcohol, barbiturates, and phenytoin cause SER hyperplasia and an induction of P-450 enzymes which leads to increased drug detoxification. So my question is why would this lead to "lower-than-expected therapeutic drug levels"? Wouldn't more P-450 enzymes and more drug metabolism lead to a higher than expected therapeutic drug level?
Inverse quesiton applies to the second section where he talks about inhibitors of P-450 enzymes - why higher-than expected therapeutic drug levels?

Members don't see this ad.

Or did he mean that when you measure the blood plasma level in the patient with P-450 induction you will see less of the drug in the system (not that they need less drug to achieve the therapeutic effect)?

Or did he mean that when you measure the blood plasma level in the patient with P-450 induction you will see less of the drug in the system (not that they need less drug to achieve the therapeutic effect)?

I think he meant you would see the response as if it's at a lower dose in population with no induced P450 (no is relative here)

Induction of p450 results in increased breakdown of drugs that are metabolized by p450 = lower plasma levels

Inhibition of p450 results in reduced breakdown of drugs that are metabolized by p450 = higher plasma levels

Members don't see this ad :)
I too was confused by the term therapeutic level because to me that implies effective dose. A person with P450 induction would have lower plasma levels of the drug and would require a higher therapeutic dose (since more is degraded).