Aug 1, 2012
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Hey everyone. Could any of you guys give me some insight on non-profit clinics? Is it usually a hospital setting? Is it more inpatient or outpatient? Are there plenty of non-profit places out there to find work as a PT? Is the pay similar to what you would make at a private practice clinic? I'm sure that all this stuff depends on a number of different factors, but I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts on non-profit clinics.

I ask because I've been thinking a lot about what the best way to pay back my loans will be once I get out of PT school, because I'm likely going to have a decent amount in loans. So, I'm looking at the whole PSLF (I think that's what it is?) thing and trying make myself feel better about how much I'm going to owe. I know it will absolutely all be worth it, but I definitely want to make sure I do all my financial stuff as intelligently as I can. I haven't been accepted to a super cheap school yet, and there's a good possibility I won't be.

So tell me your thoughts! Any insight would be much appreciated!

noyceguy

7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2010
Status
Hey everyone. Could any of you guys give me some insight on non-profit clinics? Is it usually a hospital setting? Is it more inpatient or outpatient? Are there plenty of non-profit places out there to find work as a PT? Is the pay similar to what you would make at a private practice clinic? I'm sure that all this stuff depends on a number of different factors, but I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts on non-profit clinics.

I ask because I've been thinking a lot about what the best way to pay back my loans will be once I get out of PT school, because I'm likely going to have a decent amount in loans. So, I'm looking at the whole PSLF (I think that's what it is?) thing and trying make myself feel better about how much I'm going to owe. I know it will absolutely all be worth it, but I definitely want to make sure I do all my financial stuff as intelligently as I can. I haven't been accepted to a super cheap school yet, and there's a good possibility I won't be.

So tell me your thoughts! Any insight would be much appreciated!

What non-profit clinics are you talking about?

jblil

7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2010
East Coast
The OP is probably referring to community non-profit clinics. There is one in my town, and it is staffed by PT faculty and PT students on a volunteer basis. So nobody is getting paid.

FYI, most hospitals are non-profit entities, even though they pay a really fat salary to their senior management. Just like we individuals have to file tax form 1040 every year, non-profits have to file tax form 990. Check out your favorite non-profit by googling its tax return: type (for ex.) "BCBS 990" into a search engine. Form 990 lists the compensation of the non-profit's senior management. It's often eye-popping, and eye-opening...

NewDPT31

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Status
DPT / OTD
Most hospitals are non profits, except the big corporate ones like Kindred, etc. You can find a full list on the IRS website.

OP
H
Aug 1, 2012
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Most hospitals are non profits, except the big corporate ones like Kindred, etc. You can find a full list on the IRS website.
Thanks! That's what I was looking for. I was asking about non-profits in general, not any specific one. Thanks for the replies everyone!