Question about NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freakingzooming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how NYC rotations worked for NYMC. Would I be able to do all my clinical rotations third and fourth year at the main St. Vincent's Hospital or midtown one? Or would I have do some of them at the Queen's or Brooklyn's St. Vincent hospitals? How hard is it to do all them in the city?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Freakingzooming said:
I was wondering how NYC rotations worked for NYMC. Would I be able to do all my clinical rotations third and fourth year at the main St. Vincent's Hospital or midtown one? Or would I have do some of them at the Queen's or Brooklyn's St. Vincent hospitals? How hard is it to do all them in the city?

Thanks!

i have the same question. if i end up there i would like to stay at st. vincent's.

Here's a list of the NYMC affiliations:

Danbury Hospital - Danbury
Greenwich Hospital - Greenwich
Metropolitan Hospital Center - New York
Mount Vernon Hospital - Mount Vernon
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary - New York
Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center - Bronx
Sound Shore Medical Center of Westchester - New Rochelle
St Joseph's Medical Center - Yonkers
St Vincent Catholic Medical Centers (Manhattan) - New York
St Vincent's Medical Center - Bridgeport
VA Hudson Valley Healthcare System - Montrose
Westchester Medical Center - Valhalla

Members don't see this ad :)
nico05 said:
Here's a list of the NYMC affiliations:

Danbury Hospital - Danbury
Greenwich Hospital - Greenwich
Metropolitan Hospital Center - New York
Mount Vernon Hospital - Mount Vernon
New York Eye and Ear Infirmary - New York
Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center - Bronx
Sound Shore Medical Center of Westchester - New Rochelle
St Joseph's Medical Center - Yonkers
St Vincent Catholic Medical Centers (Manhattan) - New York
St Vincent's Medical Center - Bridgeport
VA Hudson Valley Healthcare System - Montrose
Westchester Medical Center - Valhalla

But can you stay at the St. Vincent's Medical Center Manhattan for all the rotations your third and fourth years or do you need to split it with the other affliated hospital? How easy is it to stay in the Manhattan area so I don't have to go to Queens to do one rotation and then to the Bronx for the other?

From what I hear from upperclassmen, folks generally get to rotate where they want. But why would you want to be at the same hospital the whole time? It's nice that we have hospitals in such diverse settings so we can see different types of healthcare settings.

I guess mostly so you don't have to commute an hour to get to Yonkers or to Greenwich or to the other affliated hospitals. I was hoping maybe to living in the city third and fourth year and not worrying about moving.

Some people commute, others sublet during rotations. Either way, it doesn't seem like a huge deal.

dankev said:
From what I hear from upperclassmen, folks generally get to rotate where they want. But why would you want to be at the same hospital the whole time? It's nice that we have hospitals in such diverse settings so we can see different types of healthcare settings.

good point... i didn't know there were so many options!