question about opposed programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thtswhatshesaid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this varies to some degree, but at opposed programs do fp residents ever lead teams on non-fp services? Would the fp resident ever be the senior resident on a medicine team comprised of medicine and fp interns? Would they have to co-lead with a medicine senior?

I am just trying to think through the dynamics of opposed programs. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the off service inpatient rotations are done in the intern year, where you ideally function in the same capacity as the primary services interns. I never did an inpatient medicine month. I would be vary wary of a program with no family medicine inpatient service, or one with such low numbers that you have to do medicine months.

I'm sure this varies to some degree, but at opposed programs do fp residents ever lead teams on non-fp services? Would the fp resident ever be the senior resident on a medicine team comprised of medicine and fp interns? Would they have to co-lead with a medicine senior?

The ABIM/ACGME/RRC cabal does not permit IM housestaff to be supervised by non-IM housestaff on IM rotations (including ICU and Cardiology, so the IM interns technically can't work for rotating ED residents for example).

not common, but it can happen. i went to an unopposed program, in which i was able to lead inpatient teams ALOT.

i know that the big "opposed" program in Seattle (U of Wash) FM program has their own FM inpatient service AND they do inpatient IM at the VA. At least when I was a med student, they were given their own "team" over there where FM residents were the seniors for the interns on their team (which were FM interns AND some prelim medicine residents).