question about part-time gap year clinical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berryayyy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
decided to take a few gap years and work on clinical research and (hopefully) get something published. My sGPA is 3.69, cGPA 3.76 and MCAT 516.
Mainly deciding between 2 opportunities both at the same T10 medical school:
one is a part-time (offered) and one is full-time (still interviewing). Would part-time job experiences look different from full-time for the admissions committee?

a) offer offered: part-time clinical research assistant for lab
pros: good mentorship, opportunities to publish (as mentioned by professor and research assistants who interviewed me), clinical exposure and OR exposure
cons: part-time

b) 3rd round interview: full-time departmental CRC
pros: good department (cardiothoracic), full-time job, clinical exposure and OR exposure
cons: less chance to publish, many PIs so may be hard to know one really well

Members don't see this ad.

Part time seems fine if you do something else. For example, if you haven't done a ton of volunteering then part time could be great because then you could work on your research and volunteering.

I would think about what kind of school you would like to aim for and what you want the focus of your application to be based on your interests and what you have already done.

If you want to go to your state school and it has a strong focus on serving the local community, for example, then you may want to do the part time and try to get some community oriented volunteering going.

If you want your application to emphasize your research experience, then maybe go full time or maybe do part time and take more science courses (since the top research schools also tend to have the highest stats).

decided to take a few gap years and work on clinical research and (hopefully) get something published. My sGPA is 3.69, cGPA 3.76 and MCAT 516.
Mainly deciding between 2 opportunities both at the same T10 medical school:
one is a part-time (offered) and one is full-time (still interviewing). Would part-time job experiences look different from full-time for the admissions committee?

a) offer offered: part-time clinical research assistant for lab
pros: good mentorship, opportunities to publish (as mentioned by professor and research assistants who interviewed me), clinical exposure and OR exposure
cons: part-time

b) 3rd round interview: full-time departmental CRC
pros: good department (cardiothoracic), full-time job, clinical exposure and OR exposure
cons: less chance to publish, many PIs so may be hard to know one really well

You should be aware that MCAT scores expire. How many gap years do you intend to take?

Also, I'm looking at possible clinical research opportunities myself. How does one go about looking for these and what makes for a good postbaccalaureate clinical research opportunity?

Part time seems fine if you do something else. For example, if you haven't done a ton of volunteering then part time could be great because then you could work on your research and volunteering.

I would think about what kind of school you would like to aim for and what you want the focus of your application to be based on your interests and what you have already done.

If you want your application to emphasize your research experience, then maybe go full time or maybe do part time and take more science courses (since the top research schools also tend to have the highest stats).

I think I'm weak on the research aspect of my application hence devoting my gap year to research (probably gonna work overhours and take a few more science courses). Not sure if working parttime would look bad on my application vs. working fulltime.

You should be aware that MCAT scores expire. How many gap years do you intend to take?

Also, I'm looking at possible clinical research opportunities myself. How does one go about looking for these and what makes for a good postbaccalaureate clinical research opportunity?

I'd say it depends on what your goals are and which departments you're interested in. There are many opportunities on the typical job searching sites.