Question about paying for dental school and loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Luckily my parents have been saving up for my education but obviously the cost of dental school is quite hefty so it may not be enough. I'm wondering if one could just take out loans for all 4 years and then once dental school is over just pay all those loans off right away? Would there still be interest in that case?

I ask because a college fund would get bigger with interest/contributions if we just keep putting money in it and letting it sit there for 4 years rather than just paying year by year for dental school.

Obviously if there would be interest in that case I feel like it would be stupid to do so, but if there would be no interest wouldn't it be a better idea to just take out loans and pay it all off right after dental school because that would allow the college fund to accumulate more money...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There would still be interest because loans are not subsidized, meaning that interest starts building up while you're in school. The interest from the loans would far outweigh the interest that your money is gaining right now, so it would be best to pay expenses in cash.

There would still be interest because loans are not subsidized, meaning that interest starts building up while you're in school. The interest from the loans would far outweigh the interest that your money is gaining right now, so it would be best to pay expenses in cash.
Thanks for the response, yup would be best to pay in cash