question about peds stethescope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soprano

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a Littman Classic II, which I used for all of 1st year w/ no problems. It was given to me as a gift by my old boss before I started school, and for sentimental (as well as monetary) reasons I didn't buy a new one w/ the rest of my class last summer. Thing is, everyone else bought the Littman Cardiology, that has a separate pediatric bell. I was wondering if there was any way to convert the open bell on the Classic II to a pediatric bell (buy a separate diaphragm or something??). I figure I should have a pediatric bell next year for physical diagnosis, and I don't really want to shell out the $200 for a new stethescope...

any hints??

thanks much...

Members don't see this ad.

Not specifically, no. The Cardiology IISE had an adaptor you could use for the bell but it doesn't work on the Classic series. What you may want to do is to get some of the peds disposable diaphragms. You can put them on top of the bell and it'll function as a peds diaphragm. And while I admit it's a small sample, I haven't noticed any problems using the adult scope for the few kids I've examined.

Is it a Classic II, or a Classic II SE?

If it's a Classic II SE, which has a tunable diaphragm, it will not be very useful for peds, as it will be virtually impossible to apply firm, even pressure on a tiny chest wall in order to get the tunable diaphragm to function properly. All you'll get are muffled sounds.

If it's an older Classic II with a rigid diaphragm, it's fine. The old Classic II and the Littmann Pediatric are basically the same stethoscope, with the only difference being the diameter of the diaphragm and bell. You can easily use a Classic II on any child except perhaps a neonate. Most newborn nurseries have dedicated infant 'scopes anyway, so you'll probably be OK.

If you do decide to buy a peds stethoscope, try eBay. You should be able to find a Littmann for well under $100.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump - I'm wondering if there is any kind of adapter or if a soft diaphragm (like the DRG safeseal) will work to convert it

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've had a few peds attendings that use a Littman Cardio III's adult side on infant patients. Having the appropriate size might help you a little, but at this stage in the game it's probably not worth extra effort or money.

If you find that you are going to specialize in pediatrics (neonatology) then you might want to invest in a pediatric scope. I have found that my adult scope worked for every patient other than the smaller neonates. For them, I used the scopes in the NICU (which were cleaner than mine) anyway.

Use your money for something else at this point and if the need arises later, you can purchase a scope with an infant/pediatric diaphragm/bell.