question about personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twisteroats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I have a question... I'm probably freaking out a little too much about this i do that a lot

in my personal statement I talk about treating a intramural sports participant for a seizure. This did actually happen and my story is completely true; however, since I wasn't a supervisor at the time my name is not on the injury report. The way our department is run is that students run the night portion of intramural sports, and professionials (full-time employees) actually sit in the office. Because of this arrangement, my boss most likely is unable to corroborate my story. I guess my question is do medical schools usually check up on things like that (because im kinda of thinking that if you go into detail in ur PS then its kind of dumb to lie about something like that).

Any insight would be very helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry you won't be asked to provide supporting documentation for a PS. It will be fine :)

Adcoms will know if you're lying. Your personal statement will explain everything in detail I am assuming.

Adcoms are NOT stupid. They will ask about it at an interview. So seeing since you're not lying, you should be fine. Some of my stuff on the PS isn't corroborated by any other people. But, that doesn't matter, because it's a personal statement. A reflection on why medicine. Now, activities that you list. Those should be subject to verification.

That being said, CYA... avoid talking about things that you cannot back up. Or, the alternative, tell your boss about the story. Have them look at your PS, remind them of the incident. If the med schools care that much, refer them to your boss.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys I have a question... I'm probably freaking out a little too much about this i do that a lot

in my personal statement I talk about treating a intramural sports participant for a seizure. This did actually happen and my story is completely true; however, since I wasn't a supervisor at the time my name is not on the injury report. The way our department is run is that students run the night portion of intramural sports, and professionials (full-time employees) actually sit in the office. Because of this arrangement, my boss most likely is unable to corroborate my story. I guess my question is do medical schools usually check up on things like that (because im kinda of thinking that if you go into detail in ur PS then its kind of dumb to lie about something like that).

Any insight would be very helpful

It's safe to assume they will not care that much.

awesome thank you guys so much!! also, does anyone have any insight into what questions i might be asked about this situation, because i'm completely ignorant of this entire process

My assumption is something open ended such as "tell me more" or "what was X like?"

awesome thank you guys so much!! also, does anyone have any insight into what questions i might be asked about this situation, because i'm completely ignorant of this entire process

My assumption is something open ended such as "tell me more" or "what was X like?"

Done and done. They'll probably ask for elaboration. Also, what the temperature was/the stats of the patient/did they have insurance....jk

Just elaborate on the story and what you got out of it.