Question about Possible "Poster Presentation"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NormalUsername42

Reaction score
Hi All,

At the end of this June, I will most likely be presenting a poster at a national conference along with the other contributors to the project.

Here's where I have my question. So this poster is not based on "traditional" research, but rather a unit of work that my group and I created for high school students. We will have data on student performance collected/analyzed throughout the project. The work behind this poster was for a class in an education minor I'm pursuing. Also, the conference will be virtual this year due to COVID.

My question is, would this be considered a true "poster presentation"? Is there some way that I may be able to put this on my application for this upcoming cycle? I will know if our proposal is accepted before apps come around, but the presentation will be at the end of June so it won't be "presented" yet. This was conducted through a class for credit so I'm not sure if that changes things.

If more information would be helpful please let me know what you would like to know and I'll be happy to share.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,

At the end of this June, I will most likely be presenting a poster at a national conference along with the other contributors to the project.

Here's where I have my question. So this poster is not based on "traditional" research, but rather a unit of work that my group and I created for high school students. We will have data on student performance collected/analyzed throughout the project. The work behind this poster was for a class in an education minor I'm pursuing. Also, the conference will be virtual this year due to COVID.

My question is, would this be considered a true "poster presentation"? Is there some way that I may be able to put this on my application for this upcoming cycle? I will know if our proposal is accepted before apps come around, but the presentation will be at the end of June so it won't be "presented" yet. This was conducted through a class for credit so I'm not sure if that changes things.

If more information would be helpful please let me know what you would like to know and I'll be happy to share.
I did something similar with a high school program at my Uni where we tested students attitudes toward STEM with different types of labs in AP bio, and presented a poster at a national conference. I think the general rule of thumb is that the research needs to have clear hypothesis... (scientific method process) with results, interpretations, conclusions, etc. I put it down as research in my app when I applied and no one questioned its validity as research. Now, did it help my app? I have no idea if adcoms were particularly impressed with it. But I ran all the analysis and collected all the surveys and data for the project (it was just me and the faculty member working on the project.) I wasn't finding the cure for cancer but certainly went through proper processes conducting research and interpreting results :shrug:

maybe someone else chimes in and sheds more light

If you submitted a project to a national poster conference and it got accepted, then I don't see why it wouldn't be considered a valid poster presentation lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did something similar with a high school program at my Uni where we tested students attitudes toward STEM with different types of labs in AP bio, and presented a poster at a national conference. I think the general rule of thumb is that the research needs to have clear hypothesis... (scientific method process) with results, interpretations, conclusions, etc. I put it down as research in my app when I applied and no one questioned its validity as research. Now, did it help my app? I have no idea if adcoms were particularly impressed with it. But I ran all the analysis and collected all the surveys and data for the project (it was just me and the faculty member working on the project.) I wasn't finding the cure for cancer but certainly went through proper processes conducting research and interpreting results :shrug:

maybe someone else chimes in and sheds more light

What I did wasn't really "research" in any traditional sense. The point of the project was to set out to make a unit of work specifically to teach students a biology topic in a certain way. Scores/data were obtained from the students through the unit to gauge if they were learning and to gauge the effectiveness of the unit. The conference is a meeting of a national education association, not any form of like "research symposium". This is my concern.

Last edited:
What I did wasn't really "research" in any traditional sense. The point of the project was to set out to make a unit of work specifically to teach students a biology topic in a certain way. Scores/data were obtained from the students through the unit to gauge if they were learning and to gauge the effectiveness of the unit. The conference is a meeting of a national education association, not any form of like "research symposium". This is my concern.
Hmm, I'll just say that in my project we specifically compared data from a control lab to our experimental lab and ran statistical analysis to determine differences in students attitudes toward STEM. Not all types of research have to have specific comparison, but I think that is "traditional" experimental research. Was anything like that done in your project? If so I think it would count. If not, it might count depending on other aspects of the project. Again, I am certainly not an expert in classifying research, just thought I'd give my experience doing a similar project in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) My question is, would this be considered a true "poster presentation"? 2) Is there some way that I may be able to put this on my application for this upcoming cycle? 3) I will know if our proposal is accepted before apps come around, but the presentation will be at the end of June so it won't be "presented" yet. 4) This was conducted through a class for credit so I'm not sure if that changes things.
1) From the details you've added, Yes.
2) Yes.
3) As long as it's been accepted, it's Application Worthy under a Posters/Presentations tag.
4) Not an issue.

Reactions: 2 users
OP, you are waaaay over thinking this. Research on education/training is still valid research (and I would argue that we need more high quality research on medical education/training!).
Hmm, I'll just say that in my project we specifically compared data from a control lab to our experimental lab and ran statistical analysis to determine differences in students attitudes toward STEM. Not all types of research have to have specific comparison, but I think that is "traditional" experimental research. Was anything like that done in your project? If so I think it would count. If not, it might count depending on other aspects of the project. Again, I am certainly not an expert in classifying research, just thought I'd give my experience doing a similar project in undergrad.
I probably am wayyy overthinking this. My only concern was putting that in the presentations section and accidentally "lying" or making it look like I was stretching the truth on my app and being called out on it by adcoms. Don't want to give them any excuses to throw out my app, right?

I'll put it on there and be ready to discuss it then. Thank you!

1) From the details you've added, Yes.
2) Yes.
3) As long as it's been accepted, it's Application Worthy under a Posters/Presentations tag.
4) Not an issue.
Thank you for the response. I just didn't want it to seem as though I was trying to stretch the truth or anything on my application. I'll be sure to put it on there then!

I probably am wayyy overthinking this. My only concern was putting that in the presentations section and accidentally "lying" or making it look like I was stretching the truth on my app and being called out on it by adcoms. Don't want to give them any excuses to throw out my app, right?

I'll put it on there and be ready to discuss it then. Thank you!
totally understand. congrats on the accomplishment

Reactions: 1 users