question about post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osjx-82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergrad GPA isn't that high, so I was thinking about doing some unclassfied year(s) at my university after graduation. The thing is, I could attend a polytechnic school and get a radiography certificate in 2 years, which could land me a full-time job as a medical radiographer.
I would like to ultimately go into medicine, so the only point of me taking more courses is to get a high enough GPA for medical schools. Any thoughts on the idea of getting a radiography certificate instead of doing unclassified years?
I would first like to know whether AMCAS counts the years at the polytecnic school into my GPA, and how would medical schools regard it?

Members don't see this ad.

osjx-82 said:
My undergrad GPA isn't that high, so I was thinking about doing some unclassfied year(s) at my university after graduation. The thing is, I could attend a polytechnic school and get a radiography certificate in 2 years, which could land me a full-time job as a medical radiographer.
I would like to ultimately go into medicine, so the only point of me taking more courses is to get a high enough GPA for medical schools. Any thoughts on the idea of getting a radiography certificate instead of doing unclassified years?
I would first like to know whether AMCAS counts the years at the polytecnic school into my GPA, and how would medical schools regard it?

Hmmm ... are those pure science classes? You can check the classes vs the AMCAS lists to see how they would help you out. Also depends on amout of classes. Figure out your GPA and see if that would really help you under their classifications. I see what you are saying because at least you have a backup plan, but post bacc could just be a year, doesn't have to be two. I would look at it as taking away from medicine but i don't know what classes you would take and if it would help you out. If you want to be a doc, depends on the route you want to take and if you can afford it :luck: Wish I was more help but good luck with the GPA!

thanks. the course I might take with that diploma program would be science courses (including basic sciences and courses dealing with medical equipment) plus some clinical courses. I was thinking of enrolling and applying at the same time, so that if I get rejected, I can just go ahead and finish the diploma program. If I get accepted, I can just drop out of that program and just consider it as one "unclassified" year.